• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Point Going Bad

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Why did this happen ...this was on my Jubilee Ford tractor not my Bronco but Like my tractor a lot of our Broncos set for several month only to get started for a Sunday evening stroll ..Yesterday I started my little tractor to plow up the wifes garden ..Well after about 30 minutes of plowing it dies at the end of a row, like it had run out of gas ...Damn the luck I was almost finished..I tried every thing to get it started ...Put 4gallons of fuel in a 11 gal. tank ..pulled the fuel filter toward the carb it poured ..put the drain plug in the bottom it ran and was not trash. Put the jumper cables on the diesel tr. spun it over fast as heck...Give it a shot of either..No Go there either ..Jumped across the resistor..NOT....Pulled the dis cap rotor turns when motor spins ....Fire all the way to the points...Swapped coils ..NOT.. Swapped coil wire Not ...Had good gap in points and points only had about 15 runs on them..Plugs only have about 15 runs on them and it was not missing when running ..
...So this evening I got help to towe it into the shop ...pulled the points out the only thing I could find to file them with was my 3in die grinder I snapped the points over the disk and twisted it by hand about 20 times ..That took the green color off the points ..Put them back in it starts right up.....Now how can it be running on a good set of point for 45 minutes and die in mid stream...
...I had every thing back to 1st run except the coil wire and fileing the points I like to know what the culpret was in these times...
... How could it stop in mid stream...

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
How sure of the weak condensor are you.. I TOLD SOME ONE today I'd like to change the cond. before I change the points..
Do you know or are you taking a guess..
It's a Borg Warner ...

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I'm voting bad condensor as well, the points will arc and burn and pit.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well after fileing the points it cranked right up and ran great ..where did the film come from while it was running......
Any way file the points and it starts right up..

ugly74

Bronco abuser
just replace the points and condensor both. cheap and easy, eliminates a problem

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not sure on the jubilee but if it has the side mounted dist it could have had some moisture build up and kinda fouled out the points maybe a coolant leak? antifreeze might coated the points after running awhile and cause it to die.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have 3 8N Fords (2 currently dissasembled for restore eventually) and what you describe is normal and very aggravating. I keep points and condensor on hand.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Cool guys ...Back when I had my parts store I change the plugs and wires and points and cond. oil and filter and Hyd filter once a year ..weather it needed it or not ...It was much cheaper then .....

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Does the Jubilee model have the angled dist or the one that goes straight into the side of the block? Just curious.
My guess is that you've got a system that develops a marginal spark and runs great as long as everything else is perfect. They don't need a real hot spark to fire through the low compression that those things have. However with a weak spark and say dirty plugs or bad wires it can't fire.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
It the angle dis off the side of the motor...I did overhaul it when I bought it several years ago ..It doesn't foul the plugs but may not be real high compression ..I guess I'll remember to file the points from time to time..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I believe that the compression is only around 6.5-1.

I just picked up a 8N myself have to replace a freeze plug. but otherwise is runs good but the sheet metal and tires have seen better days. One of the rear tires popped before I got it loaded on the trailer.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
What an 8N worth in AZ...
I'D say here about 800.00 up to 1100. that you have to go to work on if it's running and fixed up I'd say 2000.00
I give 750.00 for my Jubilee thought I'd stole it ..Didn't cost much to overhaul did a valve job and added a exhaust manifold I think I had to give 100.00 for it ..I painted mine Frame an wheels are correct red ... rear finders the correct tan.. but the hood I painted it Pink and had a decal made for it ..Decal is 2 Red hearts overlapping ..and under it say MIMI'S Jubilee..I bought the 53 for my wife one year for Valentine ..she loved it but she can't drive it ..So I look like hell driving her pink tractor on the county road ...All the neighbors know the story.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well I guess I'm still working on it..Next week end my boy next door is going to have his ealier birthday party ..They'll be about 150 people if weather is good ..Beer.. BBQ... Meskins Figitas his way...& the Redneck skeet shoot ..I won last year they are all laying for me ...I BOUGHT 156.00 worth of shells sat..OH MY Head will hurt Sunday morn for and old man...
...But back to the points I was trying to get the county road into his house cleaned up ...Weeds shreaded down ..I get about 2 miles from my house tractors dies won't start...I walk back to the house ..My wife comes an pulls me toward my house It starts with a pull ..I shread another 2 hours no problem..
......2nd Problem ..This one could have been deadly ....BUT I have an overrunning clutch ..on my PTO...GUYS this is a must on old tractors ...I feel like mine save my life today ... A Limb popped back an yanked the coil wire off ..Tractor dies ..I know what has happened so I JUMP off between the fence row in front of the rear tire ...THE Shreader is still spinning ...''Because'' of the overrunning clutch nothing ...AKA NO POWER ..gets back to turn the motor ...It is dead..I PLUG IN THE COIL wires and it sparks ..I see it and turn off the key ..then plug it in set back in the seat and it starts right up 1st spin this time ..I F I'd NOT had that overrunning clutch and the shreader Flywheel had still been pushing the motor just a little than spark could have started it and it ran over me ....
Just goes to show your never to old to learn a lesson...It most likely would not have started but It sure could have and those are the ones we read about...Be Careful Boys ..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure what 8N's are worth here in AZ its all over the board about $2500 is the most I've seen them for. I guess it depends on condition mostly like anything. Most go for about $2K seen one the other day for $1500 had the engine rebuilt but needed tires.
I picked mine up for $600 and really other than tires it will be good for what I need it for. I did find that its been kinda pieced togehter I think maybe it was hit at some time in its life as the LH radius arm has been fixed and is still slightly bent the tranny and steering box are out of a 9n or 2N. LH running board is in the 9n/2N style as is the brake and cltuch pedals on the LH side. they tried to use the 8n dash panel on the 9n steering box but it didnt fit so its hacked up a bit. trying to decide how much money I want to put into it I found a 8n tranny and steering gear but its a little more than I want to spend and its not like I really need to replace what I have now as it works. Might just stay with it as it is and keep more money for the bronco.