• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Poll: hood vent scoops

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Hey CB.com,

One thing I don't see a lot of out there on all the various Bronco sites / photo galleries is hood vent scoops?
Not sure if this is because people don't like them or just because they are not readily available.
I have a set on mine that was given to me by a Bronco guru from the 70s/80s. He is one of my dad's best friends and he had a 4x4 shop from mid 70s to late 80s and finally went out of business because he couldn't compete with other local tire & wheel / accessory shops. I like the looks of them as well as the principle of keeping direct rain / snow out of the vents. I think you get a little more air flow too vs. no scoop with air deflection off the windshield.
Anyway, I have a set of the original fiberglass scoops on my Bronco that he had left over from his going out of business sale that he for some reason held on to and gave them to me because he loved the idea that I was building a Bronco - this guy had like 3 or 4 Broncos back in the day. I used the fender flare welting between the scoop and hood and aluminum pop rivets.

So my question is: like / dislike / would people buy if available or not? I am flirting with the idea of bringing them back to life. I have seen some made from ABS or some other plastic material but I was thinking of patterning the scoop design off of mine and might even consider manufacturing them out of the fiberglass material just for authenticity.

I was told by Jeff's Bronco Graveyard that they could sell some if they had them but I'm not sure if that means 5 sets or 5 million sets

Just trying to get a feel for Bronco owners perception of the scoops

thanks,

DJs74

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always thought it was a reasonable idea. But only if there was a noticeable improvement in air flow. The looks were "OK", but not always preferred over just bare slots.

I never heard of anyone doing a test to see if using them facing forward, backward, or not at all was best. Guessing it would take some type of anemometer (correct term?) to measure flow speed and volume to do that, but it probably was low on everyone's priority list.

The bit about keeping excess junk out of the vents is a good one though. Screens are good, but leaves and pine needles tend to stick even in them. I've seen some plastic mesh that was better than others at keeping stuff out, but not getting clogged with stuff either.

I think they're still out there, but since they're not readily visible to most, I bet you could sell some if you could sell them at a minimal cost and still make money. Especially if you could quantify the benefits.
You might poll a cost estimate too. Like, "would you buy if" kind of thing.

Paul

OP
OP
DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I have seen the plastic type (modern style like a mini cowl induction) and I've seen the aftermarket hoods with the cowl induction middle scoop with the 2 small ones molded at the vent area as all one piece.

I was just thinking to do something truly retro and authentic like the original fiberglass type.

as for facing forward or backward, I did see some data once where someone did some tests - I can't remember the outcome but I think it basically boiled down to personal preference on what each likes the look of.

DJs74

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
My Bronco had a pair of them on the hood when I bought it,they were bolted on and made out of some kind of pot metal,they are solid pieces and feel kinda heavy,they just need some paint to be really nice,Jim. :cool:

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
They have to be facing backwards or there will be no air flow (or very minimal) into the heater or driver side air vent.... I have some on my hood-- Also, the backwards scoop on there is a bad idea also....It's open and up to 10 MPH, air does flow out of the underhood area, at 11 MPH, cowl induction takes over and air starts going in...:cool: