• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Poor Vibrating 302 Problem Finally solved

ENDLIFE

Finally, after a good solid 5 plus years of dealing with an exponential vibration problem, I finally found the source after my rig became undrivable. I remember a long time ago I made the mistake of not checking my oil filter surface for the previous gasket, and after running for not even a minute I had an Exxon Valdez in my driveway. After that, I had a small barely noticeable vibration. After years of dealing with increasing vibrations, my late father in law was the first to point out that my harmonic balancer was a little wobbly, and I, of course, ignored him like the young douche bad that I was.
Two things happened to my engine that I should have caught a long time that sent me through a flex plate, engine mount, harmonic balancer, and transmission mount replacement. First was a very small hydro locking incident where my engine died, went to turn it over, and BANG. The second was the exploding oil filter gasket, and that just exacerbated everything. So, if you haveread this far, the engine is being pulled, and a 351 is waiting to fill the void in my theoretical first child.

Thanks for reading, and good luck finding your vibration.

KeithKinPhx

Thanks for sharing. It is crazy how when you "solve" a problem you suddenly remember that conversation 4 years prior where someone mentioned the solution but you ignored it.

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

I know it. . . now. I love driving my rig. My dog is pissed off at me more than I am, as it's the first vehicle passenger door she runs too. I'm picking up a 351 this week. I will be happy I can drive to the trail again, but now I have to hunt for a Typhoon or Ford Lightning intake.

Thanks for reading.

Miker

Bronco Guru
Dig for nickels in your couch for that Lightning intake, they have some pretty salty prices on them and have for a long time. But, they are out there...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You can get a marine GT 40 lower intake much cheaper. It will be iron instead of aluminum though.
I believe Timmy390 did this.
SkiNatiques used 351W for decades in their boats.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Just buy the trickflow upper and low intake and call it a day. The lightning intakes are not worth the money they are asking, especially when crusty.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Just buy the trickflow upper and low intake and call it a day. The lightning intakes are not worth the money they are asking, especially when crusty.

Any idea how the Trick Flow stacks up vs Lightning? I'm wondering what the airflow numbers are...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to say, I'll worry about the numbers on the intake right after I corner balance, aero kit and add a splitter to the front...:)

I bet the trick flow outflow the stock.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
You can get a marine GT 40 lower intake much cheaper. It will be iron instead of aluminum though.
I believe Timmy390 did this.
SkiNatiques used 351W for decades in their boats.

Sure did.....$350 shipped to the door from a Mustang guy in St. Louis. Still high but better than the "lightning".

Mine had never seen open water that I could tell. Little to no rust. Was powder coated black which I removed and gave it a spray of cast aluminum engine paint. Looks aluminum till you pick it up....LOL

Tim

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

I'm going with the good old Speedmaster efi intake. There's no way I am going to pay $900 for a lightning intake. $400 or an intake adaptor and I'm going to call it a day.