• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powdercoating Rear Brake Drums Question

1Zonian

Hello! I am going to rebuild the brakes on my 1976 EB and was thinking of powdercoating the outsides of the rear drums. I like the look and durability on other classic cars but have concerns on heat retention and effects on braking. I'd appreciate thoughts and suggestions. Happy New Years...

Kbpony

I’d say go for it. Unless the drums are wore out, there should be plenty enough material that any temp properties of paint won’t matter. Just make sure the actual braking surface is bare steel.

OP
OP
1Zonian

1Zonian

I’d say go for it. Unless the drums are wore out, there should be plenty enough material that any temp properties of paint won’t matter. Just make sure the actual braking surface is bare steel.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Brakes get hot. Powder coating melts with heat. Not good.

But something close, exhaust coating, that should be fine.

The slight degradation from the extra layer of material will never be noticed on the rear brakes. That won't have any meaningful heat rise. A little actual, but not enough to mean anything.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure powder paint can melt once it's cured? I was under the impression that was not the case. Yes it can burn, and yes it can deteriorate and separate from the substrate, but not actually melt again. Maybe separating and melting are the same thing? Don't remember all that I learned about powders anymore.

But they also have high-temp powders probably for just such conditions. Not sure what the rating differences are, and the cost differences did not used to be very much between regular and high-temp versions.
Of course you can ask your coater those questions too, if they're experienced enough in the uses.

Paul

gick70

I did mine years ago,it gets a little duller but what wouldn't.

OP
OP
1Zonian

1Zonian

Thank you all again to all for the info.....I'll check out the high temp option, I'm inclined to move fwd.