• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering hose fittings

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I'm trying to figure out how to plumb my hydroboost with existing hoses. I have the hoses that connect to my power steering box/pump as installed currently and the hoses that came with the hydroboost so all the fittings I need are there. How can I take the existing hose fittings off the ends and put them on the hoses that came with the hydroboost? The existing fittings seem to be connected to the hoses with a round sleeve and crimped in 2 places.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
You could cut the end off of the rubber portion of the hydroboost line and get a 3/8 line compression fitting crimped on. Then just cut the hard line off of the old line and slip it in the new hose end and tighten. That's what I did.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
where could I find 3/8 compression fittings? Not real familiar with these things. I guess i would need to re-flare the ends of the hard lines when re-attaching them to the new compression fittings.

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
I would recommend just going to a race shop or something similar if you aren't accustomed to doing this work. There's a lot of pressure in there.

I had a shop make my lines and I can't imagine it would be expensive for them to do such a simple procedure for you.

4x4xTOR

Loc.
Minnesota
What I did was, overlap the pressure hose from the hydro boost and overlap the pressure line from my existing powersteering line and get a general length. Mark both hoses where you want them cut. Do the same with the return lines. Bring them to NAPA and have them make ends on all four hoses so that they can be coupled together.On mine, if the hydroboost ever fails, I can thread my original lines back together and run stock power steering with the vacuum booster.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Dont make this harder than it has to be ....I used to own a parts house for 30 years so just go ask ....I did my hose for my power steering hose ..I took my stuff into the local today parts house and ask, they said they couldn't do it ...
I said take me to your HYD. fittings ...I gathered up what I needed and ask the kid to krimp this stuff together ...when we got thru he said I didn't know we could do that ....
NO sHIT....
Also another problem that used to happen at my store when you build the hose ...think of where the angle need to be when you krimp it!!! or you'll have one pointing up in the air and the hose is so stiff it wont let you turn it so you can screw it into where it needs to go ...most hoses like that should cost about $25.00.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
skrit said:
where could I find 3/8 compression fittings? Not real familiar with these things. I guess i would need to re-flare the ends of the hard lines when re-attaching them to the new compression fittings.

See below for the image of them. They can be had at tractor supply stores. NOT the actual Tractor Supply, they are worthless yuppie farmers. I had all new lines made for 40 bones complete.
293779844_58e235baa8.jpg

BLAKEBRONCO

Loc.
Cumming Georgia
Do yourself a favor - check out hydratech on the web. They sell the fittings for the hydrobooster, pump, and your steering gear. Afterwords, any hydro hose shop can make up your hoses with femal ends. The input hose from the hydro-booster to the steering gear has much pressure on it; I had a heck of a time stopping mine from leaking. I finally bought the fittings - for now I think I've solved the problem.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another easy way (the way I do all mine) is to buy the Aeroquip (or Parker) steel 'female flare to AN-6 male nipple' adapter fittings that they sell pretty cheap. Screw those in to every place a hose would go and then have literally ANY shop that can make hydraulic hoses up, make you the ones to connect from one male AN-6 nipple to the other. The 37-degree JIC AN hose ends are about the most common hydraulic connection there is and you can have a replacement hose made or a hose repaired literally anywhere after you convert from the flare ends that are in the steering box, the pump (if its a Sag, whihc it should be) and the h-boost unit itself.

For my stuff, I use the Aeroquip TFE hose and the re-usable hose ends. So I can repair my chit on the trail by simply carrying a length of the hose and a hacksaw blade. But the crimped hose assemblies are fine too..and will be made of double-braded hose that is rated about 5 times the pressure of a power steering/h-boost system..way better than the factory hose junk is.