• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering hose(s) and route

BOSS3024ME

Loc.
Washington State Vancouver and Oysterville
OK getting to the point of hooking up the hosees and need to know the routing. Should I use a cooler??<br><br>Is a bigger cooler better???<br><br>So from the high pressure fitting to the box (front or back port???<br><br>From the box to the cooler????? Low pressure on the out???<br><br>Do I need factory hose or should I build my own???<br><br>Anything else to make this go smooth let me know.<br><br>Paul<br><br>

JMurray

Boss, I think you should use a cooler, it certianly couldn`t hurt. I have been looking for one myself, but I too, am not sure about size.<br>As far as your hose is concerned I would go with a stock one. I have a saganaw pump & the stock one would not fit, so I went with Aeroquip $75.00 later I had one pretty hose that I just love.<br>So if you have too much money in your pocket, go that route. ;)<br>Jerry

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Ive heard that you need to run the stock type pressure hose on the pressure side, and the return doesnt matter as long as the connections are tight...<br><br>Can anyone comferm this?? I have good hoses for both sides but the guy I got the PS setup from cut the hoses off near the box.. So If I can save 40 dollars I dont have by having to buy a new pressure hose. I would like to just run steel pipe out of the box on both sides and just use clamps.<br><br>Thanks

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
the high pres. line does go to the front connection.<br>the back port is low press. it runs to the cooler, then to the pump. the stock p/s has a small cooler that mounts<br>to a bolt hole on the front of the head. I would get a hydraulic hose shop to make the press. line, the return is just a power steering rated hose that is clamped. <br>

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I run a small cooler also mounted on the wheel well. <br><br>Make sure you don't bend the lines too much (12" circle bends) or you will end up cracking your line like my brother did at the Rubicon this past weekend. That sucked going back out the trail with no PS in a K5 Bl*zer.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I put a small cooler like the ones used for volkswagon oil coolers in the low pressure line. the only problem you have to watch out for is mounting it higher than the pump. if you mount it higher than the pump when it fills it drains your resivior then you add because it is low then when you turn off your truck it over fills on drain back and makes a real mess. I did it once and wont do it again. But get a good cooler the power steering loves it and the ford squeel goes away unless your tires get real big. I still have my origional ford pump from 1974 still going strong. My tires are 33's