• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Problem? Help

jwoodywild

Hi,

First, let me say that I am VERY novice when it comes to understanding cars / engines, etc. I love Broncos and as a result worked with a local expert to build one ground up--and its great. The car has only about 3500 miles on a new, restored 302 and has not given me any issues.

However, recently two things have happened that I am concerned about.

1) Steering: Recently after starting up the Bronco steering, which is power steering, has been very stiff and when I turn the wheel it makes a semi-grinding noise when I turn the wheel. Often when I hit the gas the noise will stop. The noise isnt as harsh as metal on metal and almost has a buzz to it. In the past after the car has warmed up the noise has stopped. I dont know if this is a fluid issue. There is often fluid on the ground under my bronco but I assume that is normal for old cars, no?

2) Recently when driving the car, luckily at a slow speed, the ignition turned off. The car was locked up--the wheel wouldnt move and the power breaks were useless. Luckily I was able to drift to a halt. I thought maybe the car ran out of gas---i was using the backup gas tank and there is no gauge. However, I am concerned this may be a master cylinder issue?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Woody

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
The noise your hear sounds to me like a loose belt on the steering pump. check the belt tension and look at the belt for any signs of cracks or glasing and replace or tighten if necessary.
as far as your bronco shutting off has it done it again since? That could be caused by numerous things but not the master cylinder, that only controls the brakes but as far as the power brakes being usless when it died. Unfortunately that is totally normal cause when the engine shuts off you loose vacuum to the power booster which renders your power brake worse than manual brakes.

BG's 68 Bronco

I'm just throwing out ideas for others to help answer some possibilities; power steering pump weak? I think it's more to do with the pulley being to small or belt tension,as stated above.

Does the PS work fine when you step on the gas? You said the squeal goes away, but does the steering have major difference in feel from idle to increased RPM's?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
jwoodywild said:
...There is often fluid on the ground under my bronco but I assume that is normal for old cars, no?...

Leaks on old vehicles are semi-normal but not something to be ignored just because the rig is old. Hopefully you are replacing the fluid at the same rate it is leaking out, otherwise I'd guess you might be low on power steering fluid.

As for dying with no warning, I'd guess electrical but without more info as to how it dies, it's tough to say. Does everything in the cab turn off including stereo, dash lights, etc, or is it just the engine? Did it restart? How often has it done it? Another thought could be that you're vapor locking the fuel pump. If your gas line is routed too near your exhaust it can create air bubbles that your fuel pump can't overcome in order to supply fuel to the engine. I've seen it happen on EFI 460 swaps but not 302's very often.

Good luck and try to post up more detailed info.

302fix

Contributor
Do you have points or an electronic ignition system?

1. Check your belt.
Some fluid can be expected but if your low, fill it back up. Then try to find the leak and fix it.
2. Check the wiring going to the coil.
Check the wire going from the coil to the distributor.
Check your plug wires to make sure they are in good shape.
Could be crud in the tank blocking the fuel flow.
Could be a blocked fuel filter.

Any other conditions when it died on you? Could you restart it right away? Did you switch back to the main tank?

I'm in the same novice boat as you. One thing I've learned is always check the simple free stuff first (like being out of gas). Nothing worse then doing things like replacing your oil pump only to find out the sensor is broke.%)