• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Premature oil leak on Revolution 31 spline Axle shafts and Timken Set20 bearings

Ly-mo

Roughly a year ago I redid the axles in my bronco- 4.11/4.09 gears, ARBs, and a 31 spline axle upgrade in the rear. I bought the Revolution axle shafts that JBG carries (or did a year ago). I've put roughly 5000 miles on the truck since the install. I now have a serious oil leak from the seal at the RR- 12"+ puddle under the RR tire after a week parked in the garage.

Have other people run into similar issues? I had a 73 F100 with Yukon axles and Set20 bearings that leaked on one side after 30,000 miles, but this seams a little excessive. Especially considering the cost of one of those bearings. I guess I'll buy another bearing and seal and see what happens.

Does anybody know what the journal diameter is supposed to be for the axle seal on the set20 bearing? I guess I'll check that when I get it apart...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Very common issue. All it takes is a piece of sand in the seal or too much or too little preload on it. i personally have a large distaste for that design.