• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pretty sure today was a monday

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Had on of those days today, went to install the BC adapter plate and snapped a stainless bolt off in the manifold. Luckily it was still sticking out of the manifold 1/2", so I used a remover…... which proceeded to snap it off flush. Eventually got it out, so tomorrow I will be buying some better bolts. There is still a small piece stuck halfway in the hole, yay.%)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We always recommend using anti-seize on any stainless fasteners.
Supposedly it's only when you're going stainless-on-stainless that you have the galling issues, but I figure why take any chances.

It's truly amazing how smoothly you can start threading a stainless fastener together, only to have it literally freeze up on you between one move and the next. Crazy strange, when you're used to standard steel fasteners.

So I figure the anti-seize is just a good habit to get into, even if only one half of the bit you're working on is stainless.

Paul

ugly74

Bronco abuser
That sucks...sometimes my mondays dont strike until later in the week too.

I gve up on stainless hardware when i was putting together my latest exhaust, and several of the bolts I had seized to the nuts before there was any tension on them at all! %)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
dang it man.. what can you do right. Deal with it and move on huh..

But at least it's really FRIDAY, so look at it that way..

Good luck

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Normally I only use stainless for header collectors so I can get them apart, but they were the allen head bolts supplied with the adapter. Going to stop by Lowes on the way to work and see what I can find. Thanks for the anti-seize advise guys, I will also be running a tap through all the holes now.

dannyb

Loc.
Montrose BC
Anti-seize is the trick with ss bolts. I work with stainless at work and you should use anti-seize and there will be no problems . Anti-seize on mild steel parts is also a good idea.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Going to stop by Lowes on the way to work and see what I can find.

That is exactly where I got the stainless bolts that were absolute junk. The stuff in the Hillman bags was a little better but still junk compared to what I picked up at Fastenal. I have used some of Lowes' Allen head cap screws and they seemed decent but their hex bolt selection seems to be low grade junk. I have moved to using traceable sources like Fastenal. NAPA also has a decent selection of hardware around here and tends to be much better quality than the hardware store stuff.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I have worked on boats for years and have found two things help.....Running a tap or die down the threads saves me alot of headaches. Antisieze helps as well....Depending on the grade of stainless...you basicly are dealing with crappy bolts.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I just put my flares on with 10/24 stainless with nylocks,about 10 of the 80 I put in started to get tight too soon so I reversed them and threw them away. I pre-drilled my holes and some of the threads got damaged just running them through the sheet metal.
I also use anti seize on SS and on spark pugs in anything...

OP
OP
399strokerEB

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
Well I got the rest of it out, but had about the same luck as yesterday. Broke a drill bit off, which wedged itself under the remaining piece of bolt. After spending an hour trying not to ruin the threads I said screw it and grabbed a 5/16 drill bit and made a bigger hole. Got the bit and bolt piece out and tapped the hole for 3/8. Also used grade 8 cap screws

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
When I was working our Co2 sequestration project we worked with stainless hardware and piping every day. Our requirement for preparing stainless threaded parts was teflon thread tape the male part with nickle bearing teflon tape plus coat both threads liquid teflon thread dope. Before that became the discipline We galled a lot of threads and they were expensive to repair.
I Dislike SS hardware.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
X2!

i also heard from a large bolt manufacturer that stainless and aluminum don't jive well together. something about the metallurgy

Galvanic corrosion. I've run into that several times with stainless and aluminum, even regular steel and aluminum.