• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Prices for 351 block? Roller or Not?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
BTW - YES, I have used the search button but need more info.

Down the road (I'm a long term planner) I want to put a "Beefy / warmed up" 351 W in my rig.

1. What does a good, solid 351 W block cost? Suggestions on where to find one?

2. Cost to build a warmed up engine vs. a crate engine?

4. Generally and comparatively - is it Better to build with parts I choose, or go with a crate?

Thanks! - jim

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The crate engines most go with are 4K and up. I looked at them but it was too rich for my blood.

Around here you can get a complete engine from a yard for $350-600 depending on what yard etc.

I wanted a 351 Roller and EFI.....so I bought a 96 E350 van for $800. Running and driving. Parted out the van and scrapped what was left. Got the block and wiring harness for $65 when all said and done.

Block ended up being in GREAT shape only needing 20 over cleanup but it had a cracked head so I pulled a set of GT40P's got $30 bucks each. Ran he stock cam for a while and it was great. You can reuse the complete valve train and cam unless it's been abused. Did all the work myself (but for the machine work). I got like 2K in the engine. Runs great....

Took the van EFI and turned it into an SN95 harness (not as had as you think it might be). Picked up an 95 Stang ECM and GT40 upper and lower intakes (marine lower Explorer upper).

Did I mention I do things on the cheap?

Tim

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen E150/250/350 5.8 roller engines go for $300-$600 on CL, FB and through the local wrecking yards depending on condition, mileage and level of completeness. A lot of time, it comes complete with the van wrapped around it for the same price. Otherwise, F150/250/350 trucks would be another possible source, however they always seem to cost more than the vans.

Just the block should be a lot less unless it's already had some machining operations performed.

Have not built anything recently, I can't really say, but some of the crate engines seem like pretty reasonably good deals for what you get, along with the warranty and the ability to tweak the cam selection or some of the options to go along with it. Clearly you would want one with a pan and pickup that is going to be compatible with an EB. That said, there's something about spec'ing out your own engine and putting it together yourself...every wannabe home mechanic should do it at least once in their life just to say they've done it IMHO. :cool:

77RHINO

I bought my roller 351W on craigslist for about 450$, out of a 96 bronco, and the seller helped me pull it. It had all EFI on it, but I pulled that off and went to carb. I haven't totaled my receipts, but I'm fairly certain I put a significant amount more money into it than purchasing a crate. I learned a lot more about engines in the process, so if you've got time, going that route helps you further in the long run in diagnosing future potential problems.

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
I look at it from what are your goals and do you have a "trusted" machine shop that you use? Crate motors are great if you want to plug and play. If you have the time and really want to know what you have, then build. In the end if you compelety rebuild cost difference isn't much; especially if you go stroker;)... my 2cents worth...

rjmunson

Loc.
Denver
I pulled my 351 from a wrecked 97 F250, since it was a u-pull yard I got it for $250. The dollars can add up from there. I wanted a 408 stroker so machining, crank, rods pistons, heads, cam, etc all were about $3500, but assembled it myself and got just what I wanted.

If you are very specific about what you want and you have time you can save some money, but not a ton over a solid crate setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pipeline010

If you're not totally married to a 351...Blueprint has a 302 High Output Long Block crate at $1800 with free shipping. That's a damn steal to me and definitely the route I'll take when the time comes.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bpf30216c

All my top dressings will match, and it's about a real cost under 2200 out the door if you do it all yourself.

It's got a hydraulic roller tappet which I believe some people wouldn't like (?). That's beyond me tho and really don't get it.

When I get my hands on an AOD to pair it with I'm going this way for sure. Too much HP and you're looking at necessary upgrades along your entire drivetrain.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've built quite a few... you could write a bunch about this question...

Crate engine builders will always be able to build your engine cheaper than you...they but parts by the thousands...not one-off parts buying...

Now whether they can do they quality you can...well, it depends if you have the ability to do the quality of work they can... pretty good deals but you have to find a reputable outfit...

Many 351W roller blocks do crack in the cam brg casting like blubuckaroo said...

Don't put many miles on? Go used...

Good luck

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For about $2k you can pick up a nice 351W Dart SHP block that would make a great foundation for a beast of a motor.