• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problem popped up today

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
So this afternoon I returned home from work in the EB and it was running fine. Shut her down for a few to go inside change and run my oldest to basketball practice. We take off and as I hit 50mph I noticed that it felt like it was spitting and spuddering. So I got the boy dropped off and took off for home, gain when I hit 50 it started doing it again and sounded like it was backfiring, runs great 49 and below. I did notice that my ALT gauge was going nuts before and while it was doing it, any ideas?

Ok, Heus33 is trying to talk me off the cliff, he has suggested that I add some pictures of my engine so you guys can tell me what I have under the hood other than the fact I know it's a 302. So please follow the link and let me know what I have. Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24852081@N05/

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd start by checking your timing. also if you have points they may need to be adjusted.

A little more info on your setup would help as well. year, engine, carb, ignition type ect. There's all kinds of stuff we can suggest that it might be. Could anything from just bad gas to a loose wire.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And what exactly was the ammeter doing? Did you notice a specific pattern other than it was doing it at the same time?
Was it doing it any other time too, but with no effect on the engine?

Could be a total coincidence, but it's probably worth digging deeper just to make sure.

Paul

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I'd start by checking your timing. also if you have points they may need to be adjusted.

A little more info on your setup would help as well. year, engine, carb, ignition type ect. There's all kinds of stuff we can suggest that it might be. Could anything from just bad gas to a loose wire.

Here is what I know, and it's not much. It's a 1973 302 don't know about carb, or ingnition. Learning I don't know enough about cars to own somthing like this EB.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
And what exactly was the ammeter doing? Did you notice a specific pattern other than it was doing it at the same time?
Was it doing it any other time too, but with no effect on the engine?

Could be a total coincidence, but it's probably worth digging deeper just to make sure.

Paul

The ALT hand would rapaidly moves back and forth when I got close to 50 mph. Before reaching that speed it would stay in the middle.

Scrapper_MV

I had a similar problem that baffled me for a few weeks. It turned out to be a loose ground cable on the engine block causing a poor spark. Only happened at 40mph and above.

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I had a similar problem that baffled me for a few weeks. It turned out to be a loose ground cable on the engine block causing a poor spark. Only happened at 40mph and above.

Scrapper, that sounds like me, I was thinking how I drove yesterday and I recall hitting a good size dip while driving home yesterday. I have no clue where to look. A little direction would be great. Thanks

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
Scrapper, that sounds like me, I was thinking how I drove yesterday and I recall hitting a good size dip while driving home yesterday. I have no clue where to look. A little direction would be great. Thanks

Carefully remove the negative battery cable at the battery. Next remove the positive battery cable at the battery. Clean the positive post on the battery and the battery terminal on the cable. Re install the positive terminal on the battery. Follow the negative battery cable to the engine. Inspect the connection to be sure it is clean and tight. Clean / tighten as needed. Clean the negative post on the battery and the negative terminal on the cable. Re install the negative terminal and go for a test drive.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
I had the same problem yesterday on the freeway after $50 of gas from a gas station I've never been to before. I just added Heets water remover, octane booster, and changed the fuel filter.
After a test run, everything seems to be back to normal . . . for now.
Good luck!
Chris