• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problem selecting carb

Broncoslocos

Hey guys haven't posted here much, mainly over on FSB. Building a 68, did a mild rebuild on the 289 (flat tops, rv cam, yada yada). Ran out of money too fast and don't have the dollars to put a 4 barrel on. I ran a search about what carbs but they all talk about 4barrels. I can afford the Holley 500 2barrel or I can just rebuild the old Motorcraft 2150. I want the power, but don't want to sacrifice much gas mileage. I am willing to sacrifice a few (1-3) mpg for the power. Has anyone ran either? Any benefits? Mpg? Or should I just forget it and rebuild the Motorcraft and save for the 4barrrel? Thanks for the help

Jonboy69

Are you doing much off roading ? Nonetheless, $ for $ the original motorcraft/Autolite carbs are pretty decent for all applications. You could rebuild it for pretty cheap & use it until your funding improves. Then go with like an edelbrock. Just my 2 Cents !

OP
OP
B

Broncoslocos

Def some off-roading, but it will be a daily driver. Maybe I will just wait and save for the 4barrel. I was interested in the e-brock but all that I looked at said they weren't compatible with the ford kickdown. Didn't know what that was about. But really didn't look to hard for or at them. Other opinions are welcome too! Want to get as many as I can, so I can feel like there is a smart decision!

Reason I can't just wait is I have been doing a frame off for a year and my daughter turns 16 soon. The plan was to be done with the bronc before she turned, and give her my current dd.

Thanks again,
Locos

Tasty Geezer

I rebuilt my 2150 Motorcraft about 8 months ago($40 rebuild kit)...5 months later one of the metal cap/plugs that goes on the venturi fell of and into my engine. I rebuilt my 2150 again and pressed a new plug onto the venturi. 2 weks ago the cap/plug on the other venturi came off and disappeared in either my intake or engine. Feed up with the Motorcraft 2150 I installed a new edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 600cfm carburetor on my 302. The performance/difference is amazing. My only problem now is keeping my foot of the gas..so not sure about mpg comparison. It seems to have not changed much...my "2 Cents" are the same as Jonboy69...save for the edelbrock...it is worth every penny or 2...

Jonboy69

The Edelbrock does have a kickdown lever for the C4. Takes a little adjusting though to get it to kickdown right. I had the set up on my 66 mustang & like others said it really wakes the motor up and hard to keep your foot off the skinny pedal.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
2 bbl will be a better one for you when wheelin

ugly74

Bronco abuser
the stock carb is excellent all around. driver, wheeler, whatever.
I am a Holley fan, but I really don't recommend that Holley 2v. I had one and it ran fine, but the 600cfm 4v I'm now using, has better road manners, and the center hung floats on the holley 2v aren't ideal for offroad.
the holley 2v is actually a "high performance" carb, and would be bitchin on a boat, or a circle track class that requires a 2v.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
The 2150 is a really good carb. There was a really good article in a recent bronco driver mag on how to rebuilt it for off-road. I ran one for years on several trucks and never had a power problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Keep your stock carb for now if tuned correctly it will give as much power and mileage as any carb. The big differance is that usually 4 barrel carbs feel like they have more power due to the smaler venturis so the low end feels better but a upgraded manifold and carb does tend to gain you a little more power.
A holley 2 barrel is not the best carb for your needs in fact I'd consider it a big waste of money if your planning on upgrading to a 4V carb later.
Edelbrock carbs are ok for the street but tend to have a lot of problems offroad. You dont need to worry about a kickdown unless you have a automatic tranny.
In short keep your 2 barrel then watch the classifieds for a manifold and carb they can be a whole lot cheaper I usually see holley carbs for $50 or less and manifolds for less than $100.
In my opinion a good exhuast will actually give you more benifits than a intake and carb. But the carb will usually need to be rejetted which is easier with the afteermarket carbs.

67PONY

Loc.
SE Missouri
If the 2150 is still in good shape and doesn't have any throttle plate shaft leaks, I would definitely stick with it. I love the 2100 on my 289--it's great for MPG and offroad, and rarely needs adjustment or rebuild. It's not a high-rpm screamer, but it has great low-mid rpm response.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Broncoslocos

Alright that sounds great, will def rebuild the 2150 and save for the 4v of whatever choice. Thanks for the help!