• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problems driving on sand...need help

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
The single biggest improvement for me, was the limited slip up front and locker in the back. Any tire without power is an anchor. Then it was removing weight, and paddle tires. And a little motor never hurts either.

OP
OP
azinny

azinny

Loc.
Wellesley
Probably just dont have the power what axle gears do you have? I would suggest 4.10's for 33in tires. Sand sucks the power and even more so with wide tires that are aired down. Might try leaving them pumped up more.

i have 3.54 gears, factory posi, and open diffs in the front

sgtdcoulter

Loc.
Peachtree City Ga.
Are you driving it like you stole it? That is how I handle sand. I dont worry about air pressure, just tire speed. You need a hot motor and good gearing.

x2 on the hot motor and heavy foot, but that has it's draw backs also, like snapped axles or joints.

Attachments

• IMG00243.jpg
    IMG00243.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG00043.jpg
    IMG00043.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG00044.jpg
    IMG00044.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36

strider

Loc.
Holland
I typically run 4 to 6 psi in the rear and 6 to 10 in the front. I'll drop even lower on hot, dry days. Low range in drive is the most versatile on relatively flat land while working 1st and 2nd gets me up any incline without requiring long runs leading up to the hill. I'm in Michigan sand which is more fine than California sand or Florida sand. We can't take vehicles with fully or nearly fully inflated tires on our beaches as easily as those states can.

I do tend to jump my bronco often, and I always jumped my jeep and (knock on wood) have never popped a bead on a tire. I do not make sharp turns very often though.

Don't be afraid of the skinny pedal and don't plan to run at the same rpm range as you do on the street.

Until july when I switched to a 351, I was running the stock 302 with 3.54 gears front and rear and 33"x 12.50x 15 tires.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
sand

Hey I use to do alot of sand dune rideing I had a 3speed and 302 and 33" mts 30psi and limited slip I would try all the stock gears and I found out that 4low and 2nd gear would go the best and as other said momentum helps.Horse power is alot of fun and helps if your climb a dune but you still have to have speed before you hit the hill. If you want proof just ask Dave he has" loads of power" and pic to prove it way to go sgtdcoulter just gas it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpeaImgL7-o&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

strider

Loc.
Holland
I've got to try that sand in GA. In michigan you'd struggle to get into the dunes with 30 psi. The entrance to the state park dune area here has a sign telling visitors 15 psi maximum.

74LIFE

Loc.
rolling prairie,ind
I've been going to silver lake M.I. well over 20 years, slightly modified 302 open diffs f&r stock drive train.tires of choice 42's valve stem removed 2nd gear low takes me where ever want,have only broken one front axle '' landing on power. And i sure ain't easy on trust me. Only other issue was burned up trans 2 trackin around the area slow speeds no cooler took it's toll. Hope to have it back up and runnin by the end of the year love the deep snow also. Cheers:cool: Forgot to add my gearing is 4.56 f&r

Last edited:

bearskinner

Loc.
N.Idaho, AK, SoCal
8-10 psi with the 33/12.50/15s and a rear locker you should be able to go absolutely anywhere. I have taken my bronco all over Glamis dunes. Like mentioned before in this post, plan ahead and always stop pointing down hill, it makes all the difference.

Bulletman

Feeling sluggish is simply that sand pulling you down, you overcome that by the gas pedal. It takes horsepower to overcome the drag the soft sand gives. As to digging to china--- more horsepower EARLIER as you approach the "decent incline"--- don't get to the incline and then power up, power up and then approach the incline with speed and then KEEP that momentum. That right pedal is you friend in sand as long as the truck is still moving.

OP
OP
azinny

azinny

Loc.
Wellesley
8-10 psi with the 33/12.50/15s and a rear locker you should be able to go absolutely anywhere. I have taken my bronco all over Glamis dunes. Like mentioned before in this post, plan ahead and always stop pointing down hill, it makes all the difference.

what kind of rear locker would u recommend? i drive it on the street regularly as well. will the rear locker also help with snow performance?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
if you drive it on the street regularly get a selectable locker like ARB or an electric locker.

if you don't mind listening to the locker disengaging and engaging when going around a corner while street driving get a Detroit locker. IMHO the best.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
No, not the same. A Detroit Locker is the real deal, that is a full on locker that will make sure both wheels turn if one spins. A true track requires a certain amount of resistance at the ground (i.e. traction) in order to start the torque transfer, therefore it is not a true (no pun intended) locker. ;) No contest between the two as far as performance goes either in real world severe wheelin test IMHO...There is really no match for the Detroit Locker for a rear diff locker, it is the gold standard by which all others are compared and judged.;)

agent orange

You might want to check to see the gearing is correct! I purchased a 69 several years ago and it would hump up on hard surface in short order, and wouldn't climb worth beans. I found out the PO had swapped in some higher gears in the rear.
Good luck, Bryan

OP
OP
azinny

azinny

Loc.
Wellesley
You might want to check to see the gearing is correct! I purchased a 69 several years ago and it would hump up on hard surface in short order, and wouldn't climb worth beans. I found out the PO had swapped in some higher gears in the rear.
Good luck, Bryan

how can i tell what gearing i have?...what should i have?