• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problems reinstalling rear axle

jcwalsh1

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
Hello all,

I replaced the axle seal last week and have been having a F#@*ing time getting the axle back into the housing. I did have a new bearing pressed on the axle.

The Axle slides into the rear and I can feel it slide into the the 3rd member. It seems to stop aginst something well before the bearing slides into the axle. The bearing is not hitting because I can spin it by hand. When I spin the axle the drive shaft and opposite tire both spin.

Any ideas?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I had this problem. Don't use force.
You replaced just one seal? You didn't pull the other axle? I ask, because they are different lengths.
I pulled mine out, clocked it a few degrees reinserted it, still caught on something. I repeated this for a few times, then, for some unknown reason, slid all the way in.
Had this happen to me twice.

OP
OP
jcwalsh1

jcwalsh1

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
I was planning on replacing both sides, but need to get this side back in to turn the bronco around in the garage for the other side.

So no I just pulled this one axle.

I have tried rotating the axle and reinserting, but gave up after a few tries.

Thanks

bobbyray27

Some of the new bearing dont require a new seal. My axel that I bought from wild horses require that you remove the seals dont replace them.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How hard did the axle come out? If the splines are twisted, you should replace the axle. If the splines are straight, take a good look at the lead-in of the splines and using an appropriate file, clean up any burrs that may exist.