• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PSC power steering box porting for a Ram

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Has anyone had PSC port your steering box for provisions for a ram assist? The main reason I am asking is I believe there is and or will be interference with the lower radiator hose position with a reverse rotation water pump and the lower radiator hose on the drivers side.

Typical motors that would have this issue is the later model 5.0 /5.8 efi reverse rotation water pumps.

If you have encountered this problem please post up a few pictures on how to resolve the high pressure port interfering with the lower radiator (drivers side) hose.

bchesley

I can show you photos of my box that PSC ported for me, but I’m stock radiator hose locations. At least you’ll have an idea of where they will exit the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Thanks. I don't think the factory radiator hose locations pose the same issue. Obviously if yours is fine. :)

Boss Hugg posted this link (https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289627) great link that show the porting and if you look closely you will see the ports are right in line with the drivers side exit for the lower bracket.

Looking for options or solutions if possible.

I can see replacing the existing serpentine setup, new radiator but looking to see if anyone else had this issue and didn't replace their radiator or serp setup.

Thanks all

Last edited:

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Wish I could help. I got mine rebuilt and ported at West Texas Offroad. Currently I am running a stock radiator and water pump but I am wanting to convert over to a serpentine setup so I am curious what you fine out.

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Wish I could help. I got mine rebuilt and ported at West Texas Offroad. Currently I am running a stock radiator and water pump but I am wanting to convert over to a serpentine setup so I am curious what you fine out.

Thanks. Hopefully someone has had this issue and can offer some suggestions.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is some flexibility in where you can put the ports.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364656792_739665.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364656792_739665.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
There is some flexibility in where you can put the ports.

For some reason I can not get Tapatalk to post pictures.

Thanks great picture. JohnJohn also did a writeup on how he ported his (very out of the box thinking). https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271821

PSC does port their boxes pretty close to where your ports are on the picture you posted. The problem I see is if that is the location that is used and you have a drivers side lower radiator bracket the ports are hitting the lower radiator hose.

Jason

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
See the silver caps are hitting the hose on the left of the images.
2f25d72bf4ccecbd735d0950adb4b84e.jpg
3f88543c7b21743afb49ee2e7dc064b4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That port can be moved up to the 45 degree machined surface above where it is now.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It can also be put into the aluminum cap on top. Back when I was porting a lot of boxes if there was room I'd port the aluminum end cap and the aluminum top cap if I was doing a box that was installed in the vehicle, I could remove those pieces and it was easy to clean and reassemble, often without removing, from the vehicle. but a lot of ford and delphi boxes you do not have that option.

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
It can also be put into the aluminum cap on top. Back when I was porting a lot of boxes if there was room I'd port the aluminum end cap and the aluminum top cap if I was doing a box that was installed in the vehicle, I could remove those pieces and it was easy to clean and reassemble, often without removing, from the vehicle. but a lot of ford and delphi boxes you do not have that option.

Agreed that is how JohnJohn did it in the posted link above. At this point the box was rebuilt and ported by PSC. The port placement is what it is and now I have to figure out how to manage / move / reroute the radiator hose. I will be reaching out to PSC as well to discuss additional porting options / questions to ask that will hopefully help other users with this issue going forward.

Trials and tribulations of modifications.. :eek:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wouldn't it be easier to just plug the port that's there now and port it higher up like Viperwolf suggested? I get that it would mean pulling the box apart, but at least then you have a good idea of the scope of the project.

Alternatively, you could just run a universal Cool Flex corrugated copper hose and call it a day. I'm pretty sure my brother has been running them on his 4.3l Vortec powered Toyota for the past 18 or so years without issue.

OP
OP
jmhend

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Thanks. As mentioned the "existing port and cap" are rubbing the lower radiator hose as it sits. Oh yeah, preventing the box to mount flush against the frame.

Portingnit once sure, porting it twice and still having an existing clearance issue doesn't help yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk