• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pulley eliminator

TheLimeRanger

im about to yank the 5.0 out of my 88 LSC, but before i do that, i want to eliminate some of the unneeded stuff. Id like to remove the a/c and the smog pump.

Summit has a whole bunch of stuff, but im not sure which is the way to go. the smog pump stuff seems simple enough, and works with a stock serpentine belt.

the a/c is the problem area. ford racing has an a/c eliminator bracket which moves the power steering pump up to where the a/c once was. can i use the pump from the bronco, or do i have to use the pump from the lincoln? is there a different option that i havent thought of?

thanks
Scott

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running the air pump with all the associated plumbing on the first EFI conversion I did. Seems to work fine. I think I'll eliminate it on the next one. I've had a question that no one has answered yet. Since the O2 sensors are downstream from the air injection in the heads, does removing the air pump confuse the computer and thus mixture?

I don't know about the LSC but you can remove the A/C pump from the Mustang and just get the shorter belt for the non A/C configuration.

brewchief

I used the ford racing kit and the stock mustang pump, my motor didn't have the smog pump on it when I got it and I saw no reason to replace it, my motor has run fine without the air injection crap for almost 15 years now.

Brewchief;D

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used the ford racing kit and the stock mustang pump, my motor didn't have the smog pump on it when I got it and I saw no reason to replace it, my motor has run fine without the air injection crap for almost 15 years now.

Brewchief;D

I think the older ones do fine but I wonder about the newer stuff. Speciffically the 94 Mustang. I know it will run decent but I wonder how it might effect gas milage, etc.

brewchief

I think the older ones do fine but I wonder about the newer stuff. Speciffically the 94 Mustang. I know it will run decent but I wonder how it might effect gas milage, etc.

Mines a 92 mustang motor, I think it used the same computor as the 94, gas milage was never a big concern for me, I ran a 3500rpm+ convertor for years, it was still slipping at highway speed.

Brewchief;D

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I'm running an '87 LSC motor. You can do the a/c eliminator that moves up pump up. It does ride pretty close to the opposite side of the belt after going around the alt. The bracket that holds the tensioner needs to be modded. The hole the spring for the tensioner needs to be elongated to get the belt tension right.
My pump crapped out after a year. It only put out enough pressure for a steering rack. I put a 95 F250 pump in. Fits fine and work well for my 33's and hydroboost brakes.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Here's a pic. There's a couple more in my gallery.
7034fan_installed_002resize.jpg

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
The stock EB pump will bolt up to it. If its a streeter the LSC pump will be fine. I am running one of each, just went to the Sag on the trail rig but haven't tested it yet.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
im about to yank the 5.0 out of my 88 LSC, but before i do that, i want to eliminate some of the unneeded stuff. Id like to remove the a/c and the smog pump.

Summit has a whole bunch of stuff, but im not sure which is the way to go. the smog pump stuff seems simple enough, and works with a stock serpentine belt.

the a/c is the problem area. ford racing has an a/c eliminator bracket which moves the power steering pump AC up to where the a/c once was. can I use the pump from the bronco, or do i have to use the pump from the lincoln? is there a different option that i havent thought of?

thanks
Scott
You can remove the smog pump without adding the pulley, no need to buy anything but a shorter belt.
For the AC probably the cheapest route is the Ford Racing AC eliminator kit or the Trick Flow kit both are just over $30. The Ford racing looks like the better option and keeps the tensioner in the stock location.
You could also just leave the AC compressor and use it for on board air, that's what I did. I am also using BCB all in one PS bracket to run a Saginaw pump and a Sanden compressor, The Lars Saginaw bracket from WH works well too! If you get the BCB bracket be sure to get the needed PS pulley from them as well (it has a odd offset and is a pain to find elsewhere), the Lars bracket uses the common serpentine PS pulley. The Ford pulley won't fit on Saginaw pumps it has s smaller shaft size.
If you haven't figured it out already the LSC uses a different alternator and bracket than the Mustangs, they look almost the same. The LSC bracket fits a large body 1G and the mustangs fit a small body 2G. You can run a small body 2g or 3g if you make a bracket to to take up the space on the upper mounting ear. I did this for a while with a 2G, but when I upgraded to a 3G I ordered a large body, hoping it would fit. The large body 3G has the right spacing but the ear is thicker. To make the large body fit you either need to machine the ear down thinner or make a bracket as I did shown in the pictures. This is actually the same piece of 1" x1/4" aluminum I used for the 2G, but the 2G required some spacers to get it to align. Or you can keep the externally regulated 1G which actually puts out decent amperage (around 100amps) and pretty close to that at idle. The only downside is you have to use the external voltage regulator and all the wiring for it and the peak amperage output is a less than you get from a 3G.
I also eliminated the smog pump and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Attachments

• IMG_2432 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2432 (Medium).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2433 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2433 (Medium).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: