• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulling 5.0 Checklist

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I think I found someone who wants my Mustang shell, so I'm gonna begin pulling the 5.0 out of the '90 GT. Can you guys breakdown a checklist of things to not forget before I hand the chassis over to him. Inertia switch etc. and whatever harnesses and whatnot you'll think I'll want for the EFI swap.

Muchos Gracias!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
You need the motor of course, the ECM, The BP sensor off the firewall, The inertia switch, and the complete motor harness. You probably will want the pigtail from the intertia switch as well. I think the fuel pump on that is inside the tank so it probably isn't much use. Oh, you need the VSS sensor from the tranny as well and might want the O2 sensors. (I would just get new ones myself though)

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
if it's hooked to the motor now take it. all sensors, ecm, wiring harness from the ecm to the motor, hell even the AC lines from the compressor to the fire wall.

bronco6769

Don't forget the throttle cable, ignition coil and wiring, and the flexplate/flywheel depending of course what trans your truck and 'stang have. Like the others have said, pretty much everything that is attached to the motor and you think you might need it, take it. :)

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
One more question...

Cool. Thanks.

The only other think I'd like to figure out before I yank this motor is why it is popping when I bump the throttle. I'm thinking a vacuum leak somewhere, but not sure really where to start without the carb. Any idea where it could be coming from? Ideas? Motor starts like a champ, but doesn't have as much pep as it should I think which again leads me to the vacuum leak deal. Help?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
72_EB said:
Cool. Thanks.

The only other think I'd like to figure out before I yank this motor is why it is popping when I bump the throttle. I'm thinking a vacuum leak somewhere, but not sure really where to start without the carb. Any idea where it could be coming from? Ideas? Motor starts like a champ, but doesn't have as much pep as it should I think which again leads me to the vacuum leak deal. Help?
Check the fuel pressure. If it doesn't get enough fuel then it will pop.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks Fellas. SaddleUp, I think you might be on the money with the fuel pressure. I know the PO did change out a pump, but I think he might have neglected the lines. I remember looking under there when I got and they looked like original rubber. Might be mushy and having an effect on the pressure?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Do you have the Probst EFI book? If so then it goes through the various fuel pressure checks to narrow down the exact cause of a fuel pressure issue. (Or to eliminate it if it is something else) If you don't have it then it would be money well spent in advance of starting the swap. I haven't had a single problem with mine in many months but I still keep it relatively handy. (I think it's in a box with parts and supplies that is still loaded from my last trip)

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Not yet. Gotta add it to the library. I heard it's a good one. Probably not going get to the swap until the topless season is over. Carb is running good now and if it ain't broke... Just gathering parts and info now.

But found this donor and had to jump on it. Got the whole running car relatively cheap, so I jumped on it. Was thinking Exploder motor or 351 EFI but this one fell in my lap. I'll take it. ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
My original was a $200 Crown Victoria with a 5.0. After I took the body in for scrap I figure I had about $100 into the motor itself. It didn't take me long though to realise that tired 5.0 wasn't going to cut it. Dropping the 5.8 in it's place was a piece of cake though since the EFI stuff was already done. The only thing I had to do was modify it to use a remote tfi instead of the distributor mounted one.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
What did you get the 5.8 out of? How are you addressing the tall intake and hood and such? What's the lowdown with your intake, hood, and body lift you're running if any. Just curious. Thanks!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
72_EB said:
What did you get the 5.8 out of? How are you addressing the tall intake and hood and such? What's the lowdown with your intake, hood, and body lift you're running if any. Just curious. Thanks!
I bought the 5.8 from a local wrecking yard. (Low mileage with excellent compression) It was from a 96 F350. I have a 3" body lift and built a custom scoop to make it fit. (The scoop was actually cut from the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis hood which I welded to my hood and then later fiberglassed in)

First pic shows the hole in the hood to make the EFI fit.
Second pic shows the scoop after I welded it on.
Third is after it was fiberglassed and primered. (Paint prep)
Fourth with paint.
Last is a pic of it pretty much as it is now.

Attachments

• SaddleUp23.jpg
    SaddleUp23.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 29
  • SaddleUp27.jpg
    SaddleUp27.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 30
  • SaddleUp28.jpg
    SaddleUp28.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 25
  • SaddleUp30.jpg
    SaddleUp30.jpg