• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pully Madness

vap13

I'm sure there has been alot written about this but I just finished rebuilding a 351W and have it installed. The problem is I used the standard 4 bolt damper and it has a longer offset ( 3/4 " ) than the stock. If I use the stock 351 bottom pully I will run out of room to the radiator. I don't want to change dampers because it was balanced with the assembly. Is there a bottom pully out there (4-bolt) with only a 1/2" offset (2-groove) that will match up with my stock water pump pully? - Paul

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I'm going thru this right now. We went to the local yard and picked up a matched set of pulleys and still had alignment issues. I have a 4-bolt 2-grove crank pulley and I also have Weiand shims coming in.

I have a very knowledgible friend looking into it for me today and should have the anwer shortly. I can post what I find if u care to hear.

:)

Mick

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My cure for the same problem was a combination of shims for the waterpump and taking a 3 groove pulley to a brake lathe and cutting off the outer pulley.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I already have the outer pulley on the crank removed and have shims on the way. I am still investigating options. Funyy how the tell you "these are the bracket you need for proper alignment of the pulley on the 351w" :mad: always something.%)

OP
OP
V

vap13

Thanks for the input, I will be interested to see what you all come up with. I don't want to shim too much as there won't be anything snout left for the fan to sit on. I'll keep trying different combination and let you know what I come up with.
Paul

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
that's what this forum is all about! working together to solve our problems...everyone in the world should have a bronco.

:)