• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Remove PS pump pully that was put on backwards

aklb43

The previous owner of my truck pressed the power steering pump pully on backwards and I'd like to remove it and make it stock without ruining anything. How can I go about removing it? I thought about welding a bold on the back with a washer welded to that to kind of replicate the pulling attachment on the front of the pully. It would be nice to just use a pickle fork, but i'm pretty sure that would mangle the pully and bearings inside the pump. I'm open to ideas on how to get this fixed. Thanks.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had to think about your problem for a while to understand the problem.
Since the puller groove is now on the inboard side of the pulley, you won't be able to use a puller.
I think you're right about temporarily welding on something for the puller to grab. A washer or some other chink of scrap steel.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you need to use a puller from the center of the pulley or you will destroy the pulley. I like the idea of welding a 3/8 nut to the back of the pulley. Then put grease on the forcing screw. I would see if my bearing splitter would fit in there. Good luck

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've got a stock power steering pump with an aftermarket aluminum pulley on it. This pulley has no lip for a standard pulley puller. Years ago I asked how to remove the pulley without there being a lip to use a standard puller. The most common suggestion was to use a large three arm puller. I've never attempted removing the pulley, but since there are aftermarket pulleys that don't have a removal lip, there must be a way to pull them.

I'd see if you can contact some place that sells the aftermarket pulleys without the lip and see what they say for removal.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 39

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you remove the reservoir can you put it on a press with a bearing separator or something or something behind the pulley?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think if you weld something to the front of the pulley you might run the Risk of wrecking the seals too
Let it ride if it's working good. Haaa

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

I think if you weld something to the front of the pulley you might run the Risk of wrecking the seals too
Let it ride if it's working good. Haaa

Id' just put three spot welds on the nut to avoid heating the seals.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know how you feel just want it to be right

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

probably a press and a bearing splitter. bearing splitter should be able to lock in the groove. Try your local old school napa that has a repair service. they use to press bearings and turn drums and rotors.

https://www.harborfreight.com/beari...mS5y3UqBvpUy_EIympfIcnx22EmU-oMsaApAFEALw_wcB

From what i've seen online doing it this way, I'd have to drill holes through the pully rendering it useless. I'd like to save the pully if possible. They charge $40 on wild horses 4x4 for them!

JSBX

Contributor
If you have to ruin the pully getting it off I have some extras. Just let me know and I will send you one. They are just taking up room on my parts shelves.