• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Q-jet

Morpheus

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I'm thinking pretty hard about one of BC's Q-jets. I just want to know what I'm getting before I buy. Any of you guys know what mods have been done to them? What application they are from? Where you buy tuning and rebuild parts? Any emission concerns for those of you in the smog states? I figure you folks would know the best.<br><br>thx<br><br>Gary

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I just got back from my initial test of the Q jet this weekend in the desert. I used to have a Edelbrock 1405 on the Bronco. I think I only stalled 2 times the whole weekend when I got stuck in a tough spot and my truck was getting hot... I think it was vapor lock. But it was night and and day between the Edelbrock and the Q jet. I actually got to enjoy a great day of off roading for a change. No more hard starts, stalls, etc. <br><br>As far as the way they are built, ask Chuck. I did meet the guy who rebuilds them and he tuned mine up for me when I went to see him. Nice guy, very helpful. He did say he builds them for off roading. Good luck.

Jimmyjames

Loc.
Romulus, AL
I have been thinking about the Q-jet also. Right now I am running a stock 302 with the original carburetor (I think). Do you have to cut the hood to get the Q-jet to fit (I have no body lift)? I use the stcok air filter. Thanks in advance.<br><br>Jimmyjames

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I had to cut the hood on mine. No body lift, used a drop base air cleaner from Edelbrock, 3" element. <br><br>The adapter pushed it over for me, some people don't have to cut but not sure how they pulled that one off. I like my scoop anyway and it helps cool the truck. Win, win.<br><br>I can send you a pick if you want.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you are going to use the stock air cleaner or a drop base air cleaner you can get it all under the stock hood with extra clearance to boot by using the early 60's stock 4 barrel cast Iron manifold from Ford as used in the Mustangs and Fairlanes on the 289-302. this what I have on my Bronco with stock 28 year old body mounts and the uncut factory hood. If you use any other manifolf you are looking at cutting the bracing or putting in a hood scoop.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
Sorry I forgot to mention I have an Edelbrock manifold. Yeah, the stock ones are just that much lower you can get away with it. But I still like my scoop and the fresh air that comes into the engine. I run 180 on the freeway and never over 200/205 on the trail now.

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
I got the Edelbrock performer manifold and a 4barrel Holley.<br><br>The cleaner has a dropbase and 14"x2" element <br>It fits fine under my stock hood but, its very close.