• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about lifting the body off frame

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
I'm getting my 74 ready to lift the body off. I built bolt in door support frames and I'm going to put in a support across the tail gate opening. The truck has a single roll bar in it. Would I be fine to wrap a chain around the top of the roll bar and lift with an engine lift? Here's some pics.

620964c5d186ef7d0428d2613a5db18f_zpsed1f3602.jpg

cfd3b75d17b487ced6b67ef3c7982181_zps6f093343.jpg

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
You might be ok lifting there, the issue you may run into is balance and height. If you take a look at my build maybe the 2nd or 3rd page in you can see how I lifted mine by adding loops to the support bars, I used ratchet straps to connect to a single point and was able to adjust them to get it to balance out pretty well. You will have to lift it and let it nose down slightly to get it to clear the PS box. Be sure you have the parking brake cables disconnected as they attach to the body under the drivers floor, all vent line for the fuel tanks, they go from the frame on drivers side to the body to cross to the pass side and that should be about it. Also check at fuel tank for ground strap to the body in the wiring harness.

Toddpole

Contributor
Have you braced or supported the inner fenders and core support?

OP
OP
S

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
You might be ok lifting there, the issue you may run into is balance and height. If you take a look at my build maybe the 2nd or 3rd page in you can see how I lifted mine by adding loops to the support bars, I used ratchet straps to connect to a single point and was able to adjust them to get it to balance out pretty well. You will have to lift it and let it nose down slightly to get it to clear the PS box. Be sure you have the parking brake cables disconnected as they attach to the body under the drivers floor, all vent line for the fuel tanks, they go from the frame on drivers side to the body to cross to the pass side and that should be about it. Also check at fuel tank for ground strap to the body in the wiring harness.

Thanks. I think I'll be referencing your build a fair bit. You have a very detailed build. I'll have to finish reading it all later.

Don't forget the fan shroud like I did!

Thanks. Good point!!!

Have you braced or supported the inner fenders and core support?

Haven't gotten to that point yet. I haven't seen the injera fenders supported in any builds yet. Where would I support them?

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
372 compressed.jpg

344.JPG

this is how i braced my doors and inners. i ran a piece across the bed behind the seats too. I used ratchet straps tied to beams in my garage and jacked the body up and rolled the chassis out from under it all. then i lowered the body down onto a cart that i had ready to go.

Hank

BRONCO635

I made up a jig that mounted to the last set of body mount hole. Then hooked engine puller to it. Then just couple guys up front lifting. Couple guys at rear working jack.
Won't bad at all. Did same to reinstall and even flip body over to bed line bottom side.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Only reason to support inner fronts is if they are rotten which you would be repairing anyway. No real need to support them as you have loads of adjustment when reassembly.

OP
OP
S

scherp69

Loc.
British Columbia
I have the body all ready to be lifted off. I was going to attempt it myself, but thought I'd wait until a buddy could come give me a hand. I have another question though. I got my engine lift out and was checkicing the height on it. It will be close as to whether or not it will go high enough lifting on the roll bar so I started looking at other options.

I'm thinking of adding a couple more cross braces and running a strap across the door braces. In the picture, the red is where I would add a couple braces across the width of the body. The yellow would be where I would connect a strap or chain and lift from there and use some adjustable straps to help balance it. Do you guys see any issues with this approach? I can't see the weight of the tub bending the square tube, especially since the doors, seats, tail gate, fenders and hood will all be off.

8a4cf1dd8d222a89ee7ac4ed4a6d1a01_zps5bf00531.jpg

Here's the body cart I made to put the body on

0d8dffed9ac447f15619a6ed53c1eb0f_zps296343f7.jpg

55349d3fd0b1bfbe2716ddd3045edfcc_zps3f2f31b1.jpg