• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question for the 351 Cleveland guys

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
My heater hose AN fitting broke off my water pump and it prob time to change the pump anayways.

Anyone have a part number?

is this it? http://www.autozone.com/R,968597/ve...partType,00095/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

do I need any special gaskets? or tools. Have changed lot on Windsor pumps but this looks a little more involved.

also can I just connect the water heater inlet/outlet with a hose to bypass heater core? or is it better to block them both off?

Thanks! ;D

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Changing the water pump on a cleveland is easy. Strip the front accessories off, or atleast out of the way. Unbolt the waterpump, clean the block and bolt on the new pump with a new gasket. Nothing scary about it. I just looped my heater hose to the 2 ports, works fine, not very clean looking but works fine.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Thanks DT!

Is the link the corrent pump. Just searched for 70 Mustang 351M. This is what I have used in the past for plugs, hoses etc.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Yea it looks like the correct one. I always asked for a 1972 cougar with a 351C, thats what my cleveland originally came from.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Thanks, that year/make shows same pump.

Those aluminum AN fttings are not very durable in a cooling system. they filled with corosion and burst/broke.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Got the right water pump but looks like I have to remove the harmonic balancer to get the front plate off. There is a gasket between the block and the plate as well as between the plate and the pump. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Dont take the plate off. the pump mounts on the plate. the plate is the timing chain cover

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
i didnt and it leaked antifreeze from there when I put back together.

water pump came with two gaskets. Now I believe I need to take off and reseal it. Think I will need a new front cover seal as well?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Opening a big can of worms if you take the front cover off. To put it back together you will need to lower the oil pan first. yes change the balancer seal if you have the plate off. check the chain too.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
any way around it? Maybe I can get some gasket sealer in there with out removing it? Oil pan too? :( this is a big can or worms for a water pump!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks DT!

Just searched for 70 Mustang 351M. This is what I have used in the past for plugs, hoses etc.

uh..you meant 351C, right? The 'M' pump should be the same, but won't come up in any search before '74..because the 351m didn't exist before then and the 351m was never put in any Mustang anywho.....

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
any way around it? Maybe I can get some gasket sealer in there with out removing it? Oil pan too? :( this is a big can or worms for a water pump!

Bax is correct...and I've had the same issue with loosing the seal on the cover when I went to replace only the WP. You really can't shortcut the process and, that said, new oil pan gaskets are part of that process.?:?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am in the process of doing the same type of work. But I have to drop the exhaust to get to the pan. Were talking night crawlers now.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bax is correct...and I've had the same issue with loosing the seal on the cover when I went to replace only the WP. You really can't shortcut the process and, that said, new oil pan gaskets are part of that process.?:?

Don't tell johnny! he makes a big deal over this type of thing.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Ahhh... so add some new header gaskets to the list too huh?
would you use gasket with high temp RTV on both sides or just RTV to create the best seal?

I also read somewhere that you should replace the cover if it is worn or pitted.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I use copper gaskets with the high temp stuff on both sides. yes if the cover is bad change it out. But that is more of a W problem, unless the inside is rusted from no antifreeze.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
It has some minor pitting that I wouldent even call rust. Think I am going to reuse it unless my auto parts store has a new one in stock.

Think I will need anything else?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
pan gasket, oil seal, Timing cover gasket, water pump gasket, sealer. That is all except for the exhaust stuff you might have to mess with.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Wow, I just changed my water pump maybe 6 months ago and didnt have anywhere near the hassle you all describe. I did not take the timing cover off, just changed the pump out. No leaks, no problems. Maybe I got lucky.