• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question on rear brakes

dmargnut

Loc.
Santa Fe, NM
Here's the scoop. This morning I started on my rear brakes to replace drums, shoes, springs and the wheel cylinders. (75 Bronco (Ranger), 10x2.5 brakes, small bearing rear axle, I'm pretty sure) The kit I ordered included the wheel cylinders but it turns out they don't fit. A quick run to local parts stores bring up the same size ones that don't fit. The one I removed is smaller by like 0.1 inches. I've sent an email to the vendor to ask what they think too. Does the 66-73 range have the smaller diameter cylinders? I guess I'll start on my front disc conversion until I get answers.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, I am a little lost as well. Exactly what is 0.1" too big?

The only thing that comes to mind is that you can't get the drum on. You are lookning at the wheel cylinder thinking that is holding the shoes too far open. Is that it? Did you turn the adjusters in all the way at the bottom? It's just a guess. It may be wrong after you tell us what isn't fitting right.

OP
OP
dmargnut

dmargnut

Loc.
Santa Fe, NM
Sorry about the confusion. If you remove the wheel cylinder to replace it, you remove it by unbolting it from the backing plate. The backing plate has a hole in it so that the back of the wheel cylinder has access to the brake line. If you look at the wheel cylinder after it is removed, it has a circular groove that fits snugly into the backing plate. On the wheel cylinder that I removed, I measure this circular groove at around 1.3 inches. The replacement wheel cylinders sent in my kit have a 1.4 inch diameter groove and are too large to fit into the backing plate. The auto parts stores I checked with also pulled the wheel cylinders with the larger diameter. Since I am not the original owner, it may be possible my rear end is not original. I hope this explains it. If I can figure out how to post a picture I can show the difference I am talking about. Thanks for helping and any hints on how to tell if my rear axle is original is much appreciated.

OneRaceOneWinnr

I have the same problem. Did you ever fix yours? The autoparts store version is just a little bit bigger than the one on the Bronco. I'm thinking I'll just rebuild the old one, but I'm puzzled as to why the new one doesn't fit.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If its a Ranger model it should have a large bearings large brake(11"x 1.75") axle in 75. Ranger package required the HD axle which would required limited slip. Otherwise either the axle was swapped or it was made into a Ranger model with parts. You might also want to have the parts store check to see if a say a 70 bronco with 10" brakes has the same wheel cylinder. They may be giving you the wrong one due to the odd ball 74/75 axles. or as was suggested do a little grinding.

Dont know if you've looked here but this link explains how to ID your axle.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/rear_axle

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
If its a Ranger model it should have a large bearings large brake(11"x 1.75") axle in 75. Ranger package required the HD axle which would required limited slip.

>>>>> the ranger "deluxe option" package didn't include a limited slip or HD axle.....1975 had 4 GVW packages available- 4300,4500,4600 & 4900...the ranger package for 1975 did require atleast the lower middle 4500lb GVW rating because of the back seat ...... the 1976 brochure I have shows only 3 GVW packages-4400,4600 & 4900 with 4600 minimum for the back seat> http://broncohq.com/ofb-main.html

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well even though their wrong ..a good parts house should be able to come up with the correct ones....I was a parts man for 30 years before moving on to Chrysler ..Problem today is that they most likely don't have them on the shelf to compair ...But they have a book with pictures in the back of it they can look at ..
...ALSO SOME mfg. would start to consoladate some parts ...like saying to you .you don't really have to have both size ..the small one will work ...Keep looking you'll find it.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
>>>>> the ranger "deluxe option" package didn't include a limited slip or HD axle.....1975 had 4 GVW packages available- 4300,4500,4600 & 4900...the ranger package for 1975 did require atleast the lower middle 4500lb GVW rating because of the back seat ...... the 1976 brochure I have shows only 3 GVW packages-4400,4600 & 4900 with 4600 minimum for the back seat> http://broncohq.com/ofb-main.html

Well I dont have a 75 brochure to verify but ever other year the Ranger model required the HD suspension HD rear axle with trac loc and the highest GVW rating because of the rear seat as a standard Ranger option.
The lower GVW was for base or sport models ordered with a rear seat which usually still required HD rear springs. Might want to look at the Ranger package requirements in the brochure.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Well I dont have a 75 brochure to verify but ever other year the Ranger model required the HD suspension HD rear axle with trac loc and the highest GVW rating because of the rear seat as a standard Ranger option.
The lower GVW was for base or sport models ordered with a rear seat which usually still required HD rear springs. Might want to look at the Ranger package requirements in the brochure.

>>>> every year brochure is in the link I provided to verify......... every year the ranger package was available it makes no mention of it having traction lock or the heaviest GVW spring & tire package included or being mandatory....the only GVW requirement is to have atleast the middle because of the back seat...... I had a 75 ranger previously & it didn't have the 4900 GVW rating or traction lock.... all you ranger owners out there- do you have the 4900 GVW rating & traction lock rear end ?........

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Sounds to me that you have a 'medium' duty big bearing axle with the 10" brakes. I have that same axle under mine... You need the usual shoes for the 10" brakes, but if you try to order wheel cylinders for a 77' 11" big bearing rear end they will fit. 74/75 backing plates are particular in that they use the newer 'skinnier' wheel cylinder to account for the bigger bearing axle tube. I had a hard time ordering parts for mine until I figured that part out. Good luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As I said I'm not positive on the odd ball 74/75 models.
My 73 Ranger has the 4900 lb rating and it only gets it because of the Ranger option in which the rear seat is standard and requires trac loc and the 4900 lb rating. The brochure I have breaks down all the options better than those posted in your link for it says its required. But then again there was the option to delete items from a package so anything is possible but with 74/75 models anything is possible. I'll have to get my brochure scanned so you can see the break down.

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
>>>> every year brochure is in the link I provided to verify......... every year the ranger package was available it makes no mention of it having traction lock or the heaviest GVW spring & tire package included or being mandatory....the only GVW requirement is to have atleast the middle because of the back seat...... I had a 75 ranger previously & it didn't have the 4900 GVW rating or traction lock.... all you ranger owners out there- do you have the 4900 GVW rating & traction lock rear end ?........

Yez sir.. 4900 gvw.. In the Ranger.