• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question regarding a nv 3550 into a dana 20 J shifter

samjaxfl

Loc.
Neptune Beach
can anyone help me. I am not a mechanic so please be nice, long time reader but first time asker

Question regarding a nv 3550 into a dana 20 J shifter

1. When I pulled the "old" spud shaft from the transfer case little bearings's came out, they appeared to come from deep in this hole, one picture is from the pellet in front of the case How do I get them back into the circle or is it required with the conversion?

2. The bearing "circles" I have no idea

Thank you for all your help steve

Attachments

• DSC00213.JPG
    DSC00213.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00218.JPG
    DSC00218.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
First off, go to a library and make copies from a Chilton's about Dana 20's. Yes you need those little round things. And, you should have put it in first using the little tool (suggested in Chilton's) to keep it there so they wouldn't fall out.

I'm going to leave the rest of the tech stuff to the other guys that have pulled their TCs.

OP
OP
samjaxfl

samjaxfl

Loc.
Neptune Beach
I do have the manual but did not see reference to it. Obviously I am not Bronco technically knowledgably. I simply wanted a little advise, I thought this might be a source of reference. Sorry for the stupid question.

Brewbro21

NO way man, there's no stupid questions. As for those liitle things yes you need them. The way I kept them in along with many other bearings is to use grease to hold them in, just put some onyour fingure, liberal amount, and smear it on the bearings as you put them in. Someone has a dana 20 manual on here somewhere hopefully someone will post it.

You could probably do a search on here and find it, I think that's how I got mine.

OP
OP
samjaxfl

samjaxfl

Loc.
Neptune Beach
Thank you, I assume that they go around the end of the spud shaft at the bottom of the transfer case? Like I said I do have the manual but did not see anything about the little “bearings”. I am really new at this.

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
Like BrewBro said, NEVER a stupid question when it comes to working on an EB. I hope I didn't come across wrong. I've just never pulled one of those TCs myself. I only know enough to get myself in trouble.

I will be SOON, to do just exactly what you are doing! I got my NV3550 last week, just waiting on the adapters. I'm going to follow your experience closely!