• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Questions on oil pressure gauge and power steering leak

papy

Contributor
Hi all,

Got a few things that i need to figure out here prior to road testing

1. On my explorer 5.0 swap i hooked up the oil pressure gauge wire from the explorer harness to the OE bronco connector on the engine side that goes to the pressure gauge on the stock bronco gauge cluster. The pressure gauge is at max read out. Is there something i have to change/ add for it to read out correctly or is there possible something wrong with my gauge?

not sure i f something needs to be done/added combining stock and computer applications

2. seems like i bled all the air out of my HB power steering set up. drove the truck up and down the alley several times making sure everything is functioning. when parked it in the garage i noticed a good amount o f PS fluid on the floor. I popped the hood and found it to be leaking from the O bronco steering box top nut/allen bolt.

i rebuilt the box myself and i am wondering if i missed something- perhaps thread sealer on that bolt or maybe just need to my tightened to a certain spec? i haven't tried adjusting the steering yet from that bolt as i have yet to road test it.

JP

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1. On my explorer 5.0 swap i hooked up the oil pressure gauge wire from the explorer harness to the OE bronco connector on the engine side that goes to the pressure gauge on the stock bronco gauge cluster.

As you were thinking, the senders for the newer vintage engines with EFI and computers don't speak to the old gauges. Completely different ohm range.

So the cures are either change gauges to something more modern, or add secondary sending units for water and oil to match your old gauges.
That is what most do I think.

Probably some ohm-adapters out there now too I would think. But never used one (or even seen one) so not sure.

Sorry can't help with the fluid leak. Not sure what all goes on under that bolt, but it usually does not leak (obviously!) so maybe you left out an o-ring or something?
Lots of gearbox experts here though, so someone should have a reasonable solution for you.

Paul

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
As you were thinking, the senders for the newer vintage engines with EFI and computers don't speak to the old gauges. Completely different ohm range.

So the cures are either change gauges to something more modern, or add secondary sending units for water and oil to match your old gauges.
That is what most do I think.

Probably some ohm-adapters out there now too I would think. But never used one (or even seen one) so not sure.

Sorry can't help with the fluid leak. Not sure what all goes on under that bolt, but it usually does not leak (obviously!) so maybe you left out an o-ring or something?
Lots of gearbox experts here though, so someone should have a reasonable solution for you.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for responding. I sent a PM to 904bronco to see what he has done with his 5.0 swaps

As for the steering leak i think i got it sorted out - guess i will find out soon...
JP