• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick ACT Sensor Questions?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Hey, I think I found a new intake manifold to replace my cracked GT40 lower. Problem is there is no place in the #5 cylinder to add the ACT sensor, there is not enough 'meat' in the wall to even try...

So my question is does the Explorer ACT sensor send the same signal to the eec as the mustang style ACT? I have the correct pigtail for the Explorer sensor and could easily extend the wiring, and swap out the plugs... This would be waay to easy to fix my dilemma and would be awesome if this works out...

Thanks.
Casey

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Either way your going to have to extend the wiring and move the ACT to between the MAF and TB. I would guess that they have similar electrical characteristics but you could put an ohmeter to them both and see what they read first. If they're close try the explorer sensor out.

Might be some info on Ryan's site about this.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From what I have seen, they are close enough. The ACT isn't a critical sensor, mostly a cold start aid to let the computer know how cold it is. Mix in a little hot weather tuning as well. Do check that the MAF actually has the ACT sensor in it. I have ran into some where they left the ACT out but the plug still has the connectors for it. I have even gotten away with just hanging the ACT sensor right next to the air filter. Stock 4.6 mustang applications put the ACT in the inlet tube between the MAF and the throttle body. I am trying to remember the application but I also have seen the factory install the ACT in the dirty side of the air filter box. So just stick it somewhere where the engine is sucking air over it and it should be fine.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Thanks for the replies, I believe, I'll try it out. Hopefully I can extend that part of the RJM harness with out hacking anything up. I do have the Explorer harness so I have the new plug and wires to use.

Now hopefully this manifold won't crack on me....