• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quiet High Flow Mufflers, Do they exist?

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
If you have a reputable local exhaust shop near you, go there and ask. You will find some really useful information on some of the top, higher priced manufacturers and find some lower cost alternative of great quality (exact to the high priced guys) and the sound you want. It is also a great place if you want to do headers or other custom work. I always try and shop local first before anything else. Sometimes I find some nice surprises. Not always, but it is always my first option.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If you want quiet, don't get caught up in the aftermarket name brand muffler stuff. All the Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow stuff is there to be loud. Just different types of loud. And most people associate loud with power (just look at the yelling in the presidential debates). But there are plenty of high flow OEM mufflers that work. You just can't claim that you have a (insert name of favorite exhaust company here) muffler on your ride.

The Flowmaster Delta 50 is not loud and has no drone. You can only hear them when I really get on it and since they have no packing to blow out they will never get any louder.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've had delta 50s on a mustang. While not obnoxious, they were not quiet. A noticeable step above stock. Good thing is they were drivable on long trips without going completely insane.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If the Delta 50 isn't quiet enough they do make a Delta 70.
The downside is it's really big.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've run a 70 on the Bronco, think it was before the delta line.
Tight packaging under the passenger seat. Dumped in front of the rear tire.
With the shorter, larger diameter exhaust and a higher compression engine it was louder then the mustang with Delta 50s, full length exhaust, cats, and a stock motor.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
After my experience with three of them on different vehicles there will be no Flowmaster's in my future. One I replaced with my first of the Walker that I linked previously, the second I sold still on the car, but with the Supertrapp's that I was trying to replace re-installed, and the third just went to the metal scrap yard eventually to be replaced with my third Walker. <Washes hands> of FM's.

Soon I'll need to find an equivalent to the Walker that is more appropriate for a ~183 cubic inch engine.

cw

I've run a 70 on the Bronco, think it was before the delta line.
Tight packaging under the passenger seat. Dumped in front of the rear tire.
With the shorter, larger diameter exhaust and a higher compression engine it was louder then the mustang with Delta 50s, full length exhaust, cats, and a stock motor.

I run a two into one with a flow master 70. 95 5.0 stock re-ring and bearings. Sounds great and when I get on it it opens up nice. Don't really notice at highway speeds. Can hold conversations easily.