• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rare bronco? Ranger stripe with rear mold flares

NpBronco

Hello all,

I’m new to the bronco world but I’ve read a ton on this site. My friend and I are both looking for Broncos and he came across an unusual 76 ranger. It has a rear molded flare to match the front, so it’s not “uncut”, but it the owner says it’s all original paint/metal. It has the white stripe that is common on the ranger package, however it doesn’t go all the way to the tailgate post. It stops after the rear quarter panel. I’ve never heard of the molded rear flare from the factory, but I imagine it could’ve been a dealer add on. What gets me is the stripe... if the dealer did the add on flare, did they put the stripe on and just stop short of the tailgate? That actually wouldn’t make sense because the strip is painted. I couldn’t imagine the dealer adding paint? The owner says he’s the second owner, knows the original owner, and claims all original metal and paint. Any guru thoughts out there? I can email a pic

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
From the factory, the stripe is a decal, not paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NpBronco

Interesting. Good to know. I thought paint was original when I’ve seen others at car shows. Maybe there’s were painted. Thanks

chriskent85

The fender flares can not be original metal or paint, the flare would have to be grafted on and then that would have to be repainted. Dealer options are not factory. So someone has their facts wrong.

chuck1022

i am going to have this done one day...

or I might just sell it and do something else!!!!

Attachments

• steel flares.JPG
    steel flares.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 279

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Back when owners actually fabricated their own mods, rear flares cut from a donor's front we're quite common.
It's a nice clean look.

Jakedog

I like the look of the aftermarket flares. IMO, Ford should have flared the rear to match the front. They failed to properly upgrade the bronco during it's production run. Someone from Ford back then should have looked at "Big Oly" and said, "I have an idea........

OP
OP
N

NpBronco

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I agree not factory, but there has to be more to this story. The guy said the previous owner bought it from the dealer that way. The ranger stripe could be vinyl, I thought paint though. It’s the original color, but perhaps repainted with the strip added.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Would love to see pics of that one if you ever get the chance Np. Always interested in seeing how people coordinate the Ranger stripes with body mods.
And we like pics in general anyway!

Oh, and welcome to cleassicbroncos too!

Paul

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I seriously doubt that welded on metal flares would have been a dealer add-on. A dealer would have normally just added fiberglass flares. Even Stroppe did that and a Stroppe is the closest thing to a factory cut and flared Bronco. Welding on flares to the rear that were cut from front fenders is custom body shop territory. I agree that this method makes the best looking "should have been done by Ford" rear wheel well opening, but since the fiberglass fires were easy and cheap Ford probably did not see a need to update the design.

Funny thing is, both Jeep and Scout had larger rear wheel openings at the time Ford was designing the Bronco. The "designers" probably over-road the "engineers" in order to keep the "style" of the Bronco consistent with F100 rear wheel well design.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I foget what vendors but a few yrs ago some of them offered the quarter panels already flared.