• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear axle won't come out

laen461

Loc.
Charlotte NC
Need a few suggestions. I am trying to get the rear axles out. The driver side came out easy, but the passenger side won't budge. I have tried turning the drum around and using it like a slide hammer, tried a real slide hammer and no luck. Seems to have come part way out, but just can't get it out the rest of the way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Pull harder. Bearing is probably rusted to the tube.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Bolt a 6 foot chain to the lug nug and whip it. Some times it works and some times it don't

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I built a heavy duty slide hammer from an old axle. Knock out the lug bolts and bolt it backwards over a lug. I used a disk spool for a slide- a 10# tube about 8" long- and weld a end on the opposite end of the axle and bang hell out of it.
You didn't forget the flange bolts on that side did you?

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
I had this same problem last week the driver side came right out and the passenger was stuck. I heated the axle tube at the bearing with a torch for several minutes to expand the tube off the bearing it came right off.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bolt a 6 foot chain to the lug nug and whip it. Some times it works and some times it don't

This always works for me, but stay out of the way, because it is going to coming flying out. I usually use 2 of the lug nuts across from one another.

myclsic69

Slide Hammer for sure, The Bearing won't be worth much once you get it out.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
So do us all a favor when you get the axle out. What tool/tools worked out for you.
I am a cheap #$%^& and I hate buying or renting tools.
Good luck and keep us posted.;)

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
If you thread a nut on a 3/8 bolt (or 1/2" if it fits in the bearing retainer holes) then rotate the axle around until the access hole lines up with the bearing retainer bolt hole. Put the bolt through the the access hole and into the axle housing flange hole. Next, turn the axle so the bolt is stuck between the back of the axle and the axle housing flange. By turning the nut on the bolt, the bolt will push against the back of the axle and force it out. It may help to use two bolts, diagonal from each other.