• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Brake Lights & Turn Signal Wonkiness

danh25

Loc.
Frisco
Hi there!

Finally found the correct wires to hook into a brake switch removed by PO and have a strange situation.

1. Both blinkers work
  2. Right Brake light works when brakes applied left brake light does not work
  3. With left blinker on and brakes applied...right brake light works fine
  4. With right blinker on and brakes applied ...the left brake light DOES work [strange to me]

Short story - left brake light only works when right blinker on.

Thoughts?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is the left brake light just as bright as the right? If so it's probably not a ground problem but a bad turn signal switch. How do the hazard lights work?

OP
OP
D

danh25

Loc.
Frisco
Thanks guys!

Same brightness and on the hazard lights. Just the right one blinks...

So turn signal switch?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Thanks guys!

Same brightness and on the hazard lights. Just the right one blinks...

So turn signal switch?

What year? Harnesses differ. If it's a '74-'77 turn signal switch it's bad. If it's earlier you have more troubleshooting to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

danh25

Loc.
Frisco
Viper - it's a 75. Should have mentioned that. Your advice on this forum is so incredible and I am truly grateful for it. Thank you.

Is this something that has to be purchased online or should I be able to get it at a local parts store?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't know if any local stores will have the switch. I couldn't find one at o'reillys.