• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear bronco lean

NM Bronco

have done frame off restoration. New 2 1/2" suspension lift. I have about 3/4' lean at the rear. . Drivers side is lower. The front end looks level. I have measured and all the mounting points for shocks etc seem normal. The shocks are not bottomed out.. any ideas?? thanks.

turbotim2

Are your shackle bolts too tight, binding the shackles? Is the frame bent? Did you measure prior to disassembly?

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

I will check the shackles. i am pretty sure the frame is not bent.. did not measure..thanks for the advice. Appreciate anything anyone can think of ..it is very ugly looking..

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

thanks Zeeman.. so you did the wild horses trick and it did fix it? Man it is so much worse in the back than the front.. that is why i questioned if it could be the front "C" bushings? did yours show equal lean front and back or more in the back? Thanks for your advice.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I did pull the front and there was aver an inch difference in my radius arms that I corrected, made a huge difference. It was much more noticeable in the back than the front

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

I am sure this is wrong.. but what if you simply loosened the C bushing bolts an drove over some bumps.. would the struts line up? thanks

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
that doesn't sound safe at all, not sure it would help either. also have you drove it yet sometimes the springs need to be settled in

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

i have driven it about 200 miles.. no off road.. seems like the struts would seek equilibrium/balence?? thanks for the input.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
If you follow the WH directions, grease up the c bushings before you tighten them back up. It'll help flex later on, and might help them line up when your going through it.

OP
OP
N

NM Bronco

thanks Zeeman.. i did grease with synthetic grease when installed. I am tryiing to avoid draining the dang master cylinder is why i thought of loosening the bushings and driving a short bit.. think it would work?

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I didn't pull my brake line when I did mine. I just loosened up everything with the axle already on jack stands so it didn't move much.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Do not loosen the C-Bushings and drive it. That sounds like a disaster in the making. I also re-aligned mine without disconnecting the brake lines, so it can be done.

Good Luck!

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
as a rule you dont tighten down the suspension bolts until you have it settin on it own....try to loosen (that is a word i checked)... the shackle bolts a lil and put your hi-lift on the bump and pick the thing up....when you let it back down you will know if its the front.....chances are its the front....lol...you touch those front c-bushings its a diff out come everytime...lol...hell i did one the other night and it set level..i marked and put them rite back how they were....guess what////bronco lean/////...its all in how you tighen the c-cap bolts

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't loosen the C-bushing caps. To do that correctly, you'd also have to unbolt the lower spring retainers. Remember that they have one bolt into each half of the caps.
It's not so much that the bolts, by themselves, would necessarily hold the caps too tight to work the bushings, but that it would put some awkward pressures on the bolts, since they're completely captured in the lower retainer and can't go anywhere.
I'd hate to see you bust a couple of small bolts and loose the integrity of your spring mounts while driving.

Paul