• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear shock mounts

Chris99

Contributor
I have new rear shock mounts and body off the frame. Wanted to know what the location of the mount should be because they are different side to side. Also the new mount have a pretty big gap.

Attachments

• 6037.jpeg
    6037.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 6030.jpeg
    6030.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 6031.jpeg
    6031.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 6032.jpeg
    6032.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 6033.jpeg
    6033.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 6034.jpeg
    6034.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 44
  • 6035.jpeg
    6035.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 45
  • 6036.jpeg
    6036.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Are you about to replace your old ones with new, or are you adding duals?
I was planning to just replace the old one with new ones I got no dual shocks. I was thinking of maybe running these shocks Bilstein 5165 Shock with Reservoir 360/80, 24.4" Extended, 14.6" Compressed or do you need a different set up?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't have a measurement for you yet, but the gap "might" be taken up by a couple of whacks with a hammer. No, you should not have to do that to a new part, but it looks like it might be able to take care of the gap.
But don't base it on the position shown, but base it instead on the exact location you're going to mount them. In other words, where the old ones are now.
Should not be any difference, but it's yet another "just in case" kind of thing. Just in case there are variations between the two locations.

Maybe others have suggestions. Measurements should be forthcoming.
Not surprised yours are in different locations. Not sure if that was on purpose, or just the standard operating procedure of not measuring carefully. We see it all the time with frame appendages.

Paul

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Don't have a measurement for you yet, but the gap "might" be taken up by a couple of whacks with a hammer. No, you should not have to do that to a new part, but it looks like it might be able to take care of the gap.
But don't base it on the position shown, but base it instead on the exact location you're going to mount them. In other words, where the old ones are now.
Should not be any difference, but it's yet another "just in case" kind of thing. Just in case there are variations between the two locations.

Maybe others have suggestions. Measurements should be forthcoming.
Not surprised yours are in different locations. Not sure if that was on purpose, or just the standard operating procedure of not measuring carefully. We see it all the time with frame appendages.

Paul
Yeah I was thinking of maybe putting a plate on the back of the mount or cutting the tab off on the back and rewelding it.

Ok so would you put them in the same spot or split the difference and maybe make them even? I know these trucks are not build with precision.

joshua

Contributor
Yeah I was thinking of maybe putting a plate on the back of the mount or cutting the tab off on the back and rewelding it.

Ok so would you put them in the same spot or split the difference and maybe make them even? I know these trucks are not build with precision.
This is what I’m doing. It was rotten behind my shock mount. So I cut it out and welded a flush plate in.

But since the new mount is to wide, I’m going to just weld in an 1/8 in plate in from spring perch to spring perch.

I figured that will only strengthen my repair and hopefully not as noticeable as a square plate sitting on the side of the frame

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
This is what I’m doing. It was rotten behind my shock mount. So I cut it out and welded a flush plate in.

But since the new mount is to wide, I’m going to just weld in an 1/8 in plate in from spring perch to spring perch.

I figured that will only strengthen my repair and hopefully not as noticeable as a square plate sitting on the side of the frame
Yeah thats a good idea plus the new one look alot smaller then the original one.
Are your the same spot side to side your are they staggered too?

joshua

Contributor
I’m just gonna put them where they are happy. I don’t think the shock placement is super critical.

Unlike springs, radius arms, ect. I could be wrong but I’m just going get them back close to the og spot as possible.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, it’s not critical. However, it would still be nice to know whether that is a factory blem, or factory on purpose.
Maybe the driver side is a little forward to clear the fuel filler hose or something like that.
Which side is in which direction on yours?

Last edited:

joshua

Contributor
I have a 74 frame in my storage shed. I’ll get some measurements this weekend, as I’m kinda wondering now. I never measured mine on the actual frame I’m using before I whacked um off. I’ll let you know

OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Side question. Do you have 6 degree shims under the leaf springs?
No I don't have shim under the leaf springs. I got a surprise under the mount like you had.
Also did ford forget to trun on the shielding gas when they welded part on the frame 🤣

Attachments

• 6049.jpeg
    6049.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 6051.jpeg
    6051.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 6050.jpeg
    6050.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 6072.jpeg
    6072.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
C

Chris99

Contributor
Yes, it’s not critical. However, it would still be nice to know whether that is a factory bem, or factory on purpose.
Maybe the driver side is a little forward to clear the fuel filler hose or something like that.
Which side is in which direction on yours?
Yeah maybe the driver side is the one that is more forward.