• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear suspension options

bswakeboarder

I want to get the most bang for my buck in terms of flex in my rear suspension. I have heard of the shackle flip, but I was wondering if anyone had tried to swap out the bronco leafs for the chevy 63" leafs. I saw those in a toyota and man those things can flex. Are there any other kinds of leaf swaps that are commonly done ? Any info would help. Thanks

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Welcome bswakeboarder I cant help you with your spring. But if you want to wheelin I am just up 101 in Ukiah send me a PM I will get some guy to go to south cow.

Brian

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm thinking if you were to start re-locating spring hangers you may as well go 4-link. Otherwise most of the vendors sell springs that will get a good amount of flex.

OP
OP
B

bswakeboarder

From the lack of responses I am guessing that most every body just buys aftermarket leafs from the bronco websites, or upgrades to a 4 link setup.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Thats what my guess would be. I heard of somebody using Wagoneer springs, but other than that its usually new springs from one of the vendors.
Im still using stock leaves with BC's spring rockers and my rig flexes very well. WH rear shock hoops help with that.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Longer springs work, if you have the space to fart around with under there. The short wheelbase on these rigs makes it tough to fit too long of a spring. Folks have used Waggy springs, and F150 springs, but not a whole lot else that I've seen over my years here.

Folks have fooled around with shackle flips and the like as well.

A good set of replacement Deavers are tough to beat if you want to stay with leafs.

If you want the most performance you can get, you need more wheelbase, and nothing can top a well configured link setup.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Whats your current setup? If you dont already have aftermarket springs you should probably check some out as they will probably out flex your actual need not all flex is actually useable if the springs are to soft they will do nothing but wrap and cause more issues than they are worth.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I used to run F150 leaves on the rear of my trail rig and it flexed very nicely. Also had great anti-wrap characteristics too. IIRC, they were 10" longer than EB springs and wider too. I pulled a few leaves from the pack until I got the spring rate where I wanted it, and set the hangers where they needed to be to set my ride height. The rear hangers were right at the very end of the frame horns at stock wheelbase. I wanted to extend my wheelbase so out the came. That project is currently a pile of parts but it will someday be rebuilt with a 4-link. The leaves I used were from a early 90's F150. Since the leaves were wider I had to use the hangers and shackles from the F150 too. I think that was a good move though because I think the wider leaves are why it flexed great but still provided good anti-wrap.

Dusty

Attachments

• P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 49

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
These are a Deaver leaf spring 9-leaf pack & super soft. Somewhere betwen 60-62" long. It took some fairly serious modification to get these in my truck & I'm still not quite done boxing everything in.

Attachments

• 060607 shackle hanger.jpg
    060607 shackle hanger.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 060607 Rear Shackle.jpg
    060607 Rear Shackle.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 112507 Pass rear suspension.jpg
    112507 Pass rear suspension.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 112507 Pass Rear Susp Rear view.jpg
    112507 Pass Rear Susp Rear view.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 73

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
If you are running with your shocks in the stock location, that may also limit your rear flex. Using an inboard (IE Cross shock hoop or home built setup) will assist in alleviating shock binding. You will suffer additional body roll on the street however versus the stock shock location (in my opinion from driving mine before and after the mod).

Good luck

critt77matt

Loc.
Kiln/Oxford, MS
I have heard of people running stock ranger leaf sping they give about 3-4 inches of lift I think. They are longer but not so long they are at the end of the frame. you will have to relocate the hanger though.