• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Suspension options??

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I'm in Moab with a saging back suspension. Lots of trails to do but I have flat or "s" curved rear leave springs and I'm affraid that I'm going to break one of them. Some talk about going with coils or air suspension. What's options vs benefits do I have. Since, I'm dressed out at 5K (without anyone in it) I need to get custom leaves if that's the way I go. So talk to me, tell me what you have, what you'd change ect. Dealers would also be helpfull and their contact info.
Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if Ironbender ever came out with his coil-link suspension?
Other than that, I always wanted to update the rear leaves to longer and wider units. Theoretically would be stronger and ride better for a given spring rate.
I know that none of that is definitive enough to help you with your immediate problem, but thought I'd chime in to say "you lucky dog" for being in Moab.
Sorry to hear about the problem though.
What springs are you running now? Is it possible that the spring rockers are adding stresses to the springs that would contribute to the issue?
Hope you get 'er licked at least enough to finish wheeling this week.

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you should have had traction bars to keep the springs from wrapping. I'd definetly call some venders and explain what your looking for from the springs either way your probably still going to have to run sometype of traction/anti wrap device.

OP
OP
B

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Well, I stripped everthing out of the Bronk (parts and tools wise) except my welder, I even left the spare tire at camp. We wheeled from 9 a.m. until well after 8p.m. Poison spider, Golden spike and Gold bar rim. Hell of a day Without all the tools and parts I didn't have much of a problem. The welder did come in handy on a dirt bike and a broken steering gear box (not mine!). Fabulous day (week for that matter) you missed one GREAT time.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Nice to hear you had a good time, if springs are your problem then a 4 link might not be a bad idea because coils are cheap compared to other stuff so once you get the 4 link on you can try lots of different spring rates till you pick the right one. perhaps some TTB or 78-79 front coils would work better.