• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilding axles and what parts to use

BruiserOutdoors

Trying to figure out what parts to order for rebuilding the Dana 44 disc front end and ford 9" big bearing rear end that are under a 77 bronco. Basically rebuilding the whole drivetrain.

Plan:

- Motor: Stock 302 or 347 stroker
- Transmission: c4
- Tcase: Dana 20
- Tire size: 32x11.50, maybe a 33x12.50 down the road
- Driving: around town with occasional 1.5 hour road trip, very light offroad use (plan to do engineer pass in Colorado)

First off, recommended stall converter size and brand?

Now to the axles: What gear ratio would be optimal for this tire size?

Hubs: thinking to stick with stock but does anybody sell a rebuild kit?

Rotors: what company sells a good product?

Gear sets: hoping to go with some sort of posi-trac in the rear

Axles: brand and spline count?

Seals/bearings: brand and part numbers?

What else will I need?

Any advice is appreciated. Getting ready to pull the trigger but need some guidance. Thanks!

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Trying to figure out what parts to order for rebuilding the Dana 44 disc front end and ford 9" big bearing rear end that are under a 77 bronco. Basically rebuilding the whole drivetrain.

Plan:

- Driving: around town with occasional 1.5 hour road trip, very light offroad use (plan to do engineer pass in Colorado)

What else will I need?

Any advice is appreciated. Getting ready to pull the trigger but need some guidance. Thanks!

I'll answer a couple.

Gear ratio - 4.11

Hubs - The stock ones are one of the best hubs out there so I would try to stick with them. Usually they just need a good cleaning and minimal lubrication.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Plan:

What else will I need?

First off, recommended stall converter size and brand? Sorry Cant help with that

Now to the axles: What gear ratio would be optimal for this tire size? As stated 4.11's with 32's/33's runs well but you could go lower to 4:30's.

Hubs: thinking to stick with stock but does anybody sell a rebuild kit? Stock is good

Rotors: what company sells a good product? I run off the shelf parts store rotors and pads. Stops on a dime....

Gear sets: hoping to go with some sort of posi-trac in the rear. Rear, I ran a clutch style LS for Years then it broke in half so i upgraded to a TrueTrac. Front I run a LS

Axles: brand and spline count? When I installed the TrueTrac I upgraded to 31 spline axles and set 20 bearings. Got them from WH's

Seals/bearings: brand and part numbers? Rear is from local parts store. Fronts were from a master rebuild kit. Think it came from WH

What else will I need? If you plan to do the work your self you need a few tools to do the 9 and sertup bearings to the the 44.....Also a shop press for the 44

Tim

jperry1290

Google is your friend. I found many write ups on which part numbers to use and how to rebuild the axles yourself. I found most parts at my local Napa Auto and they get them quick if not already in stock.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Stock Dana-Spicer hubs, the only ones that are as strong are the Yukon Hardcore hubs and they are based on the Dana-Spicer design.

Ford OEM can still be found as New Old Stock if you look, much better than the current chinese garbage being sold. Ford used the same rotors into the 1990s. I would buy used from a junkyard in preference to new chinese.

4.11 gears, TrueTrac, avoid the clutch type LSD

Since you are changing the carrier anyway go 31 spline.

Timken.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Convertor, probably a stock replacement. Especially with a stock engine. If you do a 347 those generally have a big cam and heads on them so they make the big advertised HP.

Gears, 4.11s without an overdrive (the C4) is pretty good on 33s. Well proven for decades.

Stock hubs are good. Just clean and a light coat of grease. If worn/damaged put in some Yukons.

Axles, rear, 31 spline is a nice upgrade. Any of the brands will be fine. Match that to a true trac (all helical gear style limited slip) for something very streetable
Fronts, stock spline count is fine but just get some with the bigger U-joints. Use real spicer U-joints. '70s blazer with the long side cut down and resplined is very affordable and plenty strong for what you are asking to do. True trac in front as well.

Any of the name brand bearings/seals are fine. Nothing special here.

pipeline010

4.11 with 33s is what I use and I highly recommend. I drive quite a bit.

full caps - get a slide hammer if you don't have one. pulling axles, seals can be extremely annoying to say the least and a slide hammer is worth its weight in gold to me.

if I had baller money I'd invest in some 31 spline axles. also an AOD version tranny..stock without overdrive is LOUD at 40mph. also I'd keep it close to stock engine but with a high output (HO) 302 to give you some more push in your stable without causing any major structural faults with too much horse.

my engine seems perfect, but I'll go that route eventually. only worry would be blowing out the drivetrain with 1.8x the horsepower but since you're rebuilding first that won't happen anyway.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Trying to figure out what parts to order for rebuilding the Dana 44 disc front end and ford 9" big bearing rear end that are under a 77 bronco.

What gear ratio is in there now? The two common ratios in that year were 3.50-ish or 4.11-ish. Maybe you have the 4.11's already?
Your '77 would have had the stronger style big-bearing housing, with the largest rear brakes normally available on a Bronco. So already a good start.

Don't know from brands, but the most advertised, such as Monster Transmissions, have (so far) some pretty good reputations in the performance end of things. But there are even local rebuilders you could take your own to, to have it worked over. Maybe even slightly modified for strength or stall speed.

But no matter what is recommended, I would absolutely decide on what engine you'll be using, then absolutely stick with it. A stock-ish 302 is going to like a completely different converter than a hopped up 347 I'm thinking.
There are some compromises that can work with both perhaps, but I would still decide on what engine. You'll get the best recommendations that way.
And expect to hear a wide variety of recommendations too, so be prepared to read between the lines and look at who's recommending what. A 20-something with race experience may not be recommending the same thing as a 40-something with a family and street driving knowledge.

Personally, from what I have heard here and there and elsewhere over the years, I would not go over 2000rpm stall speed for a Bronco. Lower is often better, but lately I've been hearing members here say they're having their best experience ever with some higher-than-stock ratings.
Hopefully some of them will come in with their experiences.

And last, but not least, find out what bolt pattern your current converter has. There were two used on the Broncos, but I do believe that your '77 should have the more common one. Might have been '75 and '76 that had the odd-ball size, but not sure.
I think you can find new converters in either pattern, but not new flexplates. So if your flexplate needs changing, you'll have to source the converter accordingly.
As I said though, hopefully you have the more normal type and that won't even come up as an issue. Just nice to know ahead of time.

As the others have said, I think the basic 4.11 (rear) with the 3spd C4 is a good bet for your tire size. But here again, be absolutely certain what you will do for a transmission. If you're talked into a 4-speed with overdrive later, you'll regret (possibly) not going one or two steps lower (higher number) with your ratio.
This didn't used to come up as often, but now that overdrive transmissions are the norm rather than the exception, it's often a sticking point in a build.

And don't worry about odd numbers you're going to see. The 4.11 ratio is for the Ford 9" while the Dana 44's might be 4.09 (or is it 4.10?) or so. I never remember exactly which one it is anymore.

No rebuild kit needed usually. The only things that fail on them (typically) are the outer o-ring sealing the knob, and an over-tightened cap screw.
Rebuild kits are common for the failure and wear-prone aftermarket hubs, but I've never seen a kit offered for stock.
The "kit" most of us vendors sell are the aftermarket hubs!;)
Probably because it was easier and less expensive to go that route than replace a broken main part. No real wear-and-tear is associated with stock.
As said, the Yukons are based off of the stock ones, and priced accordingly. But still not that bad by today's standards. In the $300-ish range vs the $100-ish range for standards.

Here you can use just about anyone, but your '77 does have Wilwood upgrade stuff available to you if you want to get into it. Very good components and, if you end up using larger diameter wheels, you can up-size the rotors for even more braking power.

I think the only "Posi" (which is GM-speak for limited-slip) choice these days is the Detroit Truetrac. Not literally the only unit of course, as the sky is the limit for the Ford 9" almost. But it's certainly the one that gets the most kudos from users. Lots of benefits in my mind.
Agree too with the others that if you're going to buy a limited-slip or locker for a 9" you should always upgrade to 31 spline axles. It's an added expense, but at around $250 (for our brand at least) it's money well spent.
Some manufacturers won't even offer their limited-slip or locking differentials in 28 spline anymore due to all the broken axles.

Go for 31 for sure. There is also the 35spl option, but it will not fit into your existing stock third-member. Needs larger bore diameter carrier bearings that only fit with Ford Nodular, or most aftermarket housings.
I like our axles of course!%) (what a shock, I know...) but they have proven to be pretty good at their job. And not that expensive.
They do come with the bearings already pressed on as well, so that's a bonus.

If you go with stock style axle bearings, the Timken brand is widely recognized as one of the best, and as a factory supplier for vehicles like ours and to this day. But while they were long hold-outs in the "made in the USA" field, it's no longer the case. Some of them are, but not easy to guarantee yours won't come from Mexico, Japan, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, France, Belgium, or probably three or four other countries. You just have to hope that they're still building them to the same specifications as they used to!
Other brands that are relatively well known too, are also pretty trustworthy even if they're not made here either. I should remember the names, but don't for the moment. I'm sure others here will let you know what's worked for them.
I've used non-Timken bearings and have had just as good luck with them. But those were all old manufacture too. Haven't replaced any of my own lately 'cause the old ones are still working.
Seals, same brands, or National, or CR (Chicago Rawhide) or any of a number of them.

By "stock bearing" style I meant sealed bearings with inner seals in the axle housing. Our Extreme axles come with the Set-20 bearings installed that include a new outer seal. In this style (stock for full-size Ford 9" applications) the bearing is open to the gear lube and is of the stronger tapered roller type, as opposed to the stock sealed ball bearing type.
But either works well and stock ones lasted 100k miles anyway.

What else will I need?

Front axle u-joints. Spicer brand are generally considered the top, but here again there are others that are very good.
Ball joints? Spicer, Moog, whoever. They're all decent, but they've pretty much all had complaints for one reason or another here if I remember, so nothing is sacred anymore unfortunately.
Spindle bearings and seals. I like our nylon bushings/bearings, but it's not a requirement for your use. Just a nice bonus. Not to mention easier to install usually!
Wheel bearings? Same Timken for me, but here is where an inspection will tell you what you need. If kept adjusted properly and lubed consistently, your original bearings can last the life of the truck. If not however, likely new bearings and races would be cheap insurance.

Don't forget that if you already have a good gear ratio, you likely do not need to replace the gears or bearings in the front end. After all, how much time could it have spent working? If the Bronco was not used extensively in 4wd then you could have as little as a few hundred miles in the last 40 years put on them!
An inspection will tell you if you are dealing with rust, wear and tear, or any other damage.

Have fun!

Paul