• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilding both axles got some ???

NJBronco

I am about to drop the front and rear suspension so I can get my frame blasted and painted. Got one rear body mount to fix and one section of rot by gas tank. I'm looking to get the full poly bushing kit from WH I'm trying to decide what to do with the axles. They are both spinning and nice and quite. I at least want to replace all the seals and get new flood in them. Should I be doing anything with the bearings? Everything I see online says the master kits aren't worth it if the bearings are quiet. So I'm looking for advice. Really don't want to spend unnecessary money. At the same time I want to clean up the front and year end and be done with them for years

Any advice? The rear is staying drum but I will be looking into what knuckles I need up front to go disk. But I think I can rebuild the front and just swap knuckles later

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I wouldn't be pulling gears or anything like that unless I needed to. I would pull the rear axle and change the bearings and seals rebuild the brakes. On the front that's a a crap shoot since to replace the axle seals you have to pull the carrier. The axle u joints should be checked and the spindle end bearing be repacked and brakes gone through. I don't like pulling the axles on the front due to all the crap inside the axle tubes. Putting the axles back in pushes that crap back inside the gear housing.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I wouldn't be pulling gears or anything like that unless I needed to. I would pull the rear axle and change the bearings and seals rebuild the brakes. On the front that's a a crap shoot since to replace the axle seals you have to pull the carrier. The axle u joints should be checked and the spindle end bearing be repacked and brakes gone through. I don't like pulling the axles on the front due to all the crap inside the axle tubes. Putting the axles back in pushes that crap back inside the gear housing.

As someone that just went thru both front and rear I agree 100%. Only thing I'd add is on front pull the inspection cover and take a look and see how gears look and inspect the gear oil to see what it tells you. On rear probably not worth pulling the third member on a 9 but maybe... at least drain oil in rear and inspect.

Oh, maybe if you haven't already check the functioning of any lockers or limited slip carriers.

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Sounds good. The seals don't seem to be leaking so I guess I will dump the fluid out and see what color I have. If it's mud rust then a full rebuild if it's clean oil I will just replace the fluid. The brakes I did plan on a full rebuild any way. Thanks for the advice guys