• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilding rear end

supp64

Loc.
Lone Jack
I am about to place an order for the parts to rebuild my rear end with disc brakes, upgraded axles, new gears (4.56) and a rear diff. My question is what spline gears should I buy 31 or 35 and what diff should I buy I am looking at both the Yukon grizzly locker and the dura grip?
My bronco is currently in the rebuild process and I am planning on a mild 351 with 35's. I don't really plan on taking it wheeling after I completely rebuild it so I do t need anything to aggressive just strong enough that it won't break on me when I am having fun with it.
Thanks for any help

Also anyone in the lees summit mo area have the expertise that they can help with the gears or k ow anyone in the area that can

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My question is what spline gears should I buy 31 or 35 and what diff should I buy I am looking at both the Yukon grizzly locker and the dura grip?

By gears you mean axles/Ford 9 carrier spline count? or you taking pinion/yoke spline count?

My bronco is currently in the rebuild process and I am planning on a mild 351 with 35's. I don't really plan on taking it wheeling after I completely rebuild it so I do t need anything to aggressive just strong enough that it won't break on me when I am having fun with it.

I'll be in the minority here but if only looking at street use, I wouldn't go lockers but that's just me. I have an old school locker in my mach 1 and HATE it so I might be biase. I like a good trac-loc for the street.

Also anyone in the lees summit mo area has the expertise that they can help with the gears or know anyone in the area that can

I did mine myself (first ever rebuilds) last summer. Nothing hard about it. the 9 is easy and the 44 is not hard it's just more involved but nothing you can't do. I bought a HF 20 ton shop press (on sale now for $159 per my monthly flyer) and a dial indicator with base (also HF) along with a deal/bearing race driver set (HF as well). Also picked up a bearing seperater (one big and one set) HF again. You need setup bearings for the 44 (their a must have). I was able to borrow a set from a very nice guy who.

Doing it yourself even after the tools bought, you will save money and ahve some cool/much needed tools after the fact.

Tim

Sorry, should have included these:
Ford 9:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/065/article/Ford_9_Inch_RebuildGear_Setup.html

Dana 44: Ok it's a 60 but if you follow the instructions(I did) you will be golden
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
while 35 spline would be better 31 spline will do. Most of the time you have to upgrade the center section to go with 35 spline axles So unless you want to buy a new center section I'd stick with 31 splines.
I'll echo Tim's comment on the locker you dont really need it for street use and probably wont like it much. But I wont recommend a trac loc as they are easily broken unless you buy a aftermarket one but for the price I'd go with something else. A true trac would be a better choice for a street rig.

Setting up gears is not as hard as it seems. Doesnt really take a lot of specail tools but they do help. do the rear first its the easiest then if you dont want to tackle the front you can find someone to do it for you.