• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilding Transmission question

White Knight

Contributor
I have to have my transmission rebuilt. Wondering what I should consider when doing so? I have a Ford crate 302, SVO heads, E303 cam with a C-4 automatic. I have 4:11 gears run 33x12.5 BFG’s and a 100% on the pavement

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
If you mean outside beyond the transmission then flush or replace the transmission cooler, rebuilt torque converter, new trans mount. You are not making more than 300 HP I think a stock C4 rebuild with quality parts of good enough. Maybe a shift kit but I always had shift kit regret.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I am no fan of transmission shops. Too many think they know how to affordably improve your transmission and all they do is make them shift hard and reduce the life so be careful of the guy who say I have a fix for that. Make certain they use proper engineered kits, I prefer the TransGo Reprogramming kit, a Sonnax "C" servo kit and a high quality rebuild kit like Raybestos, Red Eagle etc. Also make certain that when they reassemble it is all sone by hand tools, no power sa well as make sure they properly inspect and test the valve body. All too often we find power tolls have been used and no torque wrenches and they warp a valve body and you get un desired shifting etc.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
After rebuild make sure your ready to use it right away and prove out it works properly. Automatics are easy to rebuild if you have the tools. But they are easier to screw up too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do NOT let them do a shift kit. It has a factory shift kit and any aftermarket one will be too much. Bone stock valve body or punch them squarely in the face, multiple times.

As for the other parts, I will refer you to Viperwolf for a parts list. There is not much to it.