• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt '95 E4OD Gone Bad

DCaccamise

Loc.
Tampa
I purchased a '95 4X4 with a bad transmission. It wouldn't shift into second gear and eventually, reverse went out as I moved it around the parking lot after it came home off the tow truck. It did leak a lot of fluid too. Generally said, the E4OD transmission needed a rebuild.
I'm an aviation mechanic, so I'm good with my mechanical skills, however, I never rebuilt an automotive transmission before. I was a bit leery about it, but I took the job on to save the $$.
After disassembling the transmission in an organized fashion by grouping the sections together, I just rebuilt everything one section at a time and was in no rush. All the plates and clutches in it were pretty much toast, so I knew that it was obvious what the problem was, besides bad seals which caused the original leaking also.
I purchased a good quality rebuild kit and a deluxe shift kit to do this repair. Also, the neutral safety switch sensor got cracked when the transmission was removed, so I simply replaced it with a junk yard replacement.
Now for the problem: I completed the newly rebuilt install and started up the Bronco. The results are Nothing!
The truck doesn't shift into gear or even budge. I think I feel the slightest hint of it shifting into any of the gears, or it could just be my wishful imagination.
The truck's RPM's will idle at around 750, but it will not rev above 1500.

Is it possible if I put a sprag bearing in backwards that this would cause this locking up situation?
I didn't read that I had to pre-fill the torque converter. Could it be locked up?

Help

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I purchased a '95 4X4 with a bad transmission. It wouldn't shift into second gear and eventually, reverse went out as I moved it around the parking lot after it came home off the tow truck. It did leak a lot of fluid too. Generally said, the E4OD transmission needed a rebuild.
I'm an aviation mechanic, so I'm good with my mechanical skills, however, I never rebuilt an automotive transmission before. I was a bit leery about it, but I took the job on to save the $$.
After disassembling the transmission in an organized fashion by grouping the sections together, I just rebuilt everything one section at a time and was in no rush. All the plates and clutches in it were pretty much toast, so I knew that it was obvious what the problem was, besides bad seals which caused the original leaking also.
I purchased a good quality rebuild kit and a deluxe shift kit to do this repair. Also, the neutral safety switch sensor got cracked when the transmission was removed, so I simply replaced it with a junk yard replacement.
Now for the problem: I completed the newly rebuilt install and started up the Bronco. The results are Nothing!
The truck doesn't shift into gear or even budge. I think I feel the slightest hint of it shifting into any of the gears, or it could just be my wishful imagination.
The truck's RPM's will idle at around 750, but it will not rev above 1500.

Is it possible if I put a sprag bearing in backwards that this would cause this locking up situation?
I didn't read that I had to pre-fill the torque converter. Could it be locked up?

Help

Ive always heard 2 quarts atf in torque converter before putting it in. You can burn it up if u dont.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
From what I've heard you need to make sure the NSS switch is the correct one and you need to check for tranny codes. They may need to be cleared before it will work properly.