• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuilt Transfer case has missing tooth - Should I worry about it?

71BroncoSport

I paid for a rebuild transfer case, and it is leaking fluid. While I had the cover off to replace the gasket (Yes, on a transfer case I just paid $600 for), I noticed that there is a partially missing tooth.

My question: Should I be worried about this? Will it eventually fail? This really sucks because It's all mounted up and ready to go.

Very frustrated because I probably gave them a perfectly good transfer case as a core. Since I was installing a NV3550, I just went ahead and bought a rebuild transfer case.

I'm going to call them tomorrow about this, but would like some opinions on what to do first.

10551068_10202382240263665_3240172859214162813_n.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That does suck. I'm sure someone with more t-case expertise will chime in, but on principle alone, I'd get it replaced. Assuming the shop is local and will back up their work?
And yes, it double-sucks because you've gone to the trouble of installing it.

If it were your original, I'd say run it till it fails (if it fails). But again, because you paid good money for a supposedly good part, and maybe gave away your old one that was better, you should get it fixed.

Not what you really wanted to hear, I can tell. But there is, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Good luck!

Paul

chuzie

Bronco Guru
It will likely last a good while and may never give you an issue but why risk it? Xfer case drop is no biggie albeit sad you are in this position. I hope they fix it right and comp you for the time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would have to say too, that while their price seems fair (for a modern big-city shop that is), $600 PLUS your old case as a core is starting to seem a little higher.

It does at least look like they went through it. Clean, apparently new thrust washers and I think I see grease through the oil hole (where it temporarily lubes and holds roller bearings in place) in the gear, so you seem to have got a legit part.
Is this your '71? Did you get a T-shift case for a T-shift case? As opposed to getting a J-shift case? I assume yes, but wanted to ask. The t-shift has a more desirable lower low-range gear ratio.

Paul

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
If it where one of the directionally cut gears it would be no big deal, but that is a straight cut gear, a lot of force on a straight cut gear, I would make them replace it, if it where on the other side, it would be no big deal. It has half the tooth, so a good welder could drill it tap it with a titanium rod and weld up some steel over it and reshape the missing part of the tooth, but that's a lot of work and probably $150 more at the least. The bigger question I would be asking is, what the hell did that, and did it happen inside of that case. The other problem is that's high gear too, so even when you are running 2wd you are using that center section. So that gear is pretty much engaged all the time. They are a crappy rebuilding if they did not take that to get it welded up before putting that T-case back together. It may never fail, but that's not a rebuilt case, rebuilt implies that major defects are taken care of, they may have reused the old bearings too and for that price I would expect new bearings, you may want to inspect the bearings closely. There is nothing wrong with reusing bearings, but the price you paid is very close to "remanufactured" prices so you should expect that case to be like new. As for the leaking, well that is like new. They are just a leaky case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
71BroncoSport

71BroncoSport

I would have to say too, that while their price seems fair (for a modern big-city shop that is), $600 PLUS your old case as a core is starting to seem a little higher.

It does at least look like they went through it. Clean, apparently new thrust washers and I think I see grease through the oil hole (where it temporarily lubes and holds roller bearings in place) in the gear, so you seem to have got a legit part.
Is this your '71? Did you get a T-shift case for a T-shift case? As opposed to getting a J-shift case? I assume yes, but wanted to ask. The t-shift has a more desirable lower low-range gear ratio.

Paul

It was a T case for a T case swap. With the NV3550 conversion, it seems that the T handle won't work with the 5-speed. I still need to permanently mount everything up to make sure.

But The 5-speed shifter hits the dash in 1st gear. So I'm not sure if I can buy one or heat the one that came with the conversion kit up and bend it more.

Does wildhorses4x4 sell a J style handle for the T case? I'd prefer to have the ball instead of the T handle, plus I think it will clean the 5-speed better.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
... As for the leaking, well that is like new. They are just a leaky case.

Agree with everything you said. But as for that last statement, from the main inspection cover too? None of the ones I've dealt with leaked from there right away. The front output bearing cover? Now THAT's a horse of a different story!;D

Sounds like you've run into plenty of leakers though, so I'm not really arguing. Just curious.

Paul

OP
OP
71BroncoSport

71BroncoSport

Thanks for the advise. It stinks having to redo work when you have so many things to do to get it on the road.

We'll see how this company handles my call today.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Agree with everything you said. But as for that last statement, from the main inspection cover too? None of the ones I've dealt with leaked from there right away. The front output bearing cover? Now THAT's a horse of a different story!;D

Sounds like you've run into plenty of leakers though, so I'm not really arguing. Just curious.

Paul

Sorry Paul it was more of a joke, just a comment on how easy they seem to leak. It usually takes RTV for me to get one to stop leaking, I should have put a smiley by the joke.

For the record and brand new rebuilt one should not leak, but it happens and the rebuilder should have you bring it in to stop the leak.

OP
OP
71BroncoSport

71BroncoSport

The company said to bring this back and they'll fix it. I said that's not really preferred, and they said we don't know for sure that I never drove it.

Thanks to Dirtdonk for pointing out the oil hole still had grease in it. I think that convinced them that there's zero miles on.

So they're shipping out a new one, charging me $400, and will refund that once I return the bad one. I make a yearly trip near them, so I'll get it to them in January.

Sucks they rebuilt it bad, but at least they're making good on the deal.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The company said to bring this back and they'll fix it. I said that's not really preferred, and they said we don't know for sure that I never drove it.

Thanks to Dirtdonk for pointing out the oil hole still had grease in it. I think that convinced them that there's zero miles on.

So they're shipping out a new one, charging me $400, and will refund that once I return the bad one. I make a yearly trip near them, so I'll get it to them in January.

Sucks they rebuilt it bad, but at least they're making good on the deal.

Seems to me they should cover the freight back since they sent you a leaker with a chipped tooth. Obviously a shitty rebuild attempt. I can only guess who the vendor is.

OP
OP
71BroncoSport

71BroncoSport

Please guess, especially if you know what vendors to avoid for others. I was ready to flame them online if they didn't ship another.

The did a crappy rebuild, but is pretty much standing behind it, minus the freight back, which will be some gas next January.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Was the $400 the cost of xfer case or case + shipping. You live close enough to haul it back to them? Where do you live? I am guessing too. ;-)

chuzie

Bronco Guru
BTW- what the hell does it matter whether you put zero or 1, 000 miles on it? They shouldn't have even brought that to issue when discussing a replacement. That makes my blood boil.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Please guess, especially if you know what vendors to avoid for others. I was ready to flame them online if they didn't ship another.

The did a crappy rebuild, but is pretty much standing behind it, minus the freight back, which will be some gas next January.

I only know of two vendors that offer them. I would be really surprised if it was the one in WA. The one in MI, well that sounds like their standard response.