• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

recalls

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Recalls really didn't exist like they do today. I don't recall any recalls, just a few service bulletins.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even though NTSA started monitoring this kind of stuff the same year our Broncos were born, a vehicle available without doors and top, where seats, radios, side and rear view mirrors and in the beginning even seat belts and maybe even heaters were options, safety recalls probably did not even enter the consciousness of anyone at the time. Took awhile to come around to the lower end of the vehicle spectrum volume-wise anyway. Big sellers probably got more air time. Or Cadillacs and Lincolns...
Corvairs were never recalled for leaky o-rings in the pushrod tubes that I'm aware of. And literally EVERY one had that problem. GM cars and trucks in the '70's and '80's that had that horrible paint (clear coat?) decay issue were not recalled in big quantities that i remember. I know some people that got theirs handled, but most were just left out in the rain to deal with it on their own.
You can still see them running around today.

At a time when everyone was basically assumed to do their own maintenance and tune-ups at 15,000 mile intervals, adjust their own brakes, change their own oil and know how to hike out of the boonies if something failed while rock-hounding, they were probably expected to just go in and buy a new radio or tire if theirs failed. Even if the part was defective to begin with.
Ignitions? They failed or just fell out of adjustment all the time, but never got much air play until the TFI issue came up twenty years later.

Occasionally we got lucky and got a decal on the dash or wiper cover or glovebox door telling you how to lock the fancy manual lockouts, what lubricant to use in the transfer case, how to service the PTO winch or auger or snow-plow, or which positions did what with the transfer case shifter.
Those were sometimes the extent of a "service bulletin" back then. But boy, how things change....:eek:

I wonder what the Bronco's warranty was for the first couple of years? 6 and 6? Maybe even 1 and 10? One year or 10,000 miles? Or even a whopping 3 and 36? I used to know but don't remember anymore.
Most people did not complain when something broke, they just got it fixed. But that did start changing not long after.

Be interested to hear if there ever were any big deals with Broncos, but I don't remember any either. Be curious too about any service bulletins and if they involved replacement parts, or just warnings of what to watch out for.
Great question!

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Even though NTSA started monitoring this kind of stuff the same year our Broncos were born, a vehicle available without doors and top, where seats, radios, side and rear view mirrors and in the beginning even seat belts and maybe even heaters were options, safety recalls probably did not even enter the consciousness of anyone at the time. Took awhile to come around to the lower end of the vehicle spectrum volume-wise anyway. Big sellers probably got more air time. Or Cadillacs and Lincolns...
Corvairs were never recalled for leaky o-rings in the pushrod tubes that I'm aware of. And literally EVERY one had that problem. GM cars and trucks in the '70's and '80's that had that horrible paint (clear coat?) decay issue were not recalled in big quantities that i remember. I know some people that got theirs handled, but most were just left out in the rain to deal with it on their own.
You can still see them running around today.

At a time when everyone was basically assumed to do their own maintenance and tune-ups at 15,000 mile intervals, adjust their own brakes, change their own oil and know how to hike out of the boonies if something failed while rock-hounding, they were probably expected to just go in and buy a new radio or tire if theirs failed. Even if the part was defective to begin with.
Ignitions? They failed or just fell out of adjustment all the time, but never got much air play until the TFI issue came up twenty years later.

Occasionally we got lucky and got a decal on the dash or wiper cover or glovebox door telling you how to lock the fancy manual lockouts, what lubricant to use in the transfer case, how to service the PTO winch or auger or snow-plow, or which positions did what with the transfer case shifter.
Those were sometimes the extent of a "service bulletin" back then. But boy, how things change....:eek:

I wonder what the Bronco's warranty was for the first couple of years? 6 and 6? Maybe even 1 and 10? One year or 10,000 miles? Or even a whopping 3 and 36? I used to know but don't remember anymore.
Most people did not complain when something broke, they just got it fixed. But that did start changing not long after.

Be interested to hear if there ever were any big deals with Broncos, but I don't remember any either. Be curious too about any service bulletins and if they involved replacement parts, or just warnings of what to watch out for.
Great question!

you know it man

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Peeling clear coat is not a recall. Recall involves a safety or other regulatory short fall. There may have been service bulletins, but those are not a recall.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford issued a service bulletin for the font floor pans. Don't remember the exact year but recommendation to drill holes in the middle of each rib for drainage. I've seen serval broncos over the years with perfect pans because of this. Years ago I owned a '67 roadster that had such done. Pans were nice!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great bit of history there. Guess the owners of mine didn't get that memo!
I don't remember Ford recommending it, but the Chilton's book recommended a bead of silicone sealer around the top 1/3 of the door hinges when you were re-installing doors. To keep the water from getting behind and rusting things out. Might have been an after-the-fact public service, rather than an official Ford TSB. I wonder when they started calling them "TSB's" too?
Don't think it was a Ford thing at least initially because I never found any sealer behind hinges of any I removed. At least up to '72.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
1966 I doubt it the only one I remember is the C4 transmission popping out of gear Ford sent out a warning letter and a sticker for the dash that's as close as they got for a recall.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
1966 I doubt it the only one I remember is the C4 transmission popping out of gear Ford sent out a warning letter and a sticker for the dash that's as close as they got for a recall.

maybe google would know

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I "recall" this one. Somewhere way back, in the early 80s maybe?, we got a lettter from Ford about the C4 problem. And yes the "fix" was decal to afix to the instrument panel warning about it. The thing is, we were not the original owners (it was a '73 model), so how they tracked this down I have no idea. Of course we did not want an ugly sticker on the interior, so we tossed it.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Well, it appears that I mis-spoke. This got me to thinking, and I checked all my files on that '73 and sure enough I did save that. It was in 1981. Here are the documents including the sticker along with information on where to stick it. All thanks to an early compulsive receipt/document saver, me. This rare early Ford document can be yours for....one million dollars!

Attachments

• Ford_Letter.jpg
    Ford_Letter.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 21

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
There were several TSB’s in ‘66.
a6fb87e3a50fb86b99ff93604a3d571a.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Well, it appears that I mis-spoke. This got me to thinking, and I checked all my files on that '73 and sure enough I did save that. It was in 1981. Here are the documents including the sticker along with information on where to stick it. All thanks to an early compulsive receipt/document saver, me. This rare early Ford document can be yours for....one million dollars!

let's all jump on that one right LOL