• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reduce tailgate hinge noise + GOT MY BRONCO

Wolverine

Hombres: After 35 years I have a bronco AGAIN. Won't make the same mistake and sell this one. Thanks to all of you that guided me in the process. Rig is in great shape but needs minor TLC, (fuel gauges don't register, J-shift is flaky, etc...) My 1st ask of y'all is; the tailgate hinges are noisy since they bounce around in the back frame. Does any one have a creative fix they used to reduce the noise? I can create a baffle, but perhaps y'all have better ideas?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
First thing to do is get all the little rubber pieces that go between the tailgate and the jamb and install those. Then if you have the swing away tire carrier check the bushings where the hoop goes into the cast brackets on the rear fender. Don't forget the rubber bumper inside the actual spare tire mount on the tailgate. If that doesnt stop it then deal with the hinge replacement stuff. Originally the tailgate cups where the hinge supports go into the tailgate there were hard board washers between the hinge and the tailgate to take away the clank from sided to side movement. you may want to check if they are still in there. but is is a real pain in the ass to remove that tailgate to check for them especially if your paint is still nice and you care about it.

OP
OP
Wolverine

Wolverine

What about converting the WH tailgate cable set that is illustrated on the link TXSS mentioned, any thoughts?

KeithKinPhx

You want the WH silencer kit

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tailgate-Silencer-Kit/Bronco_Tailgate_Parts
It has the new hinges with rubber inserts and cables.

You also want both sets of these bumpers:
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tailgate_Upper_Lower_Bumpers/Bronco_Tailgate_Parts
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tailgate_Lower_Support_Arm_Bumper/Bronco_Tailgate_Parts

Finally a new set of weatherstripping properly adjusted can help hold everything in place.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tailgate_Lower_Seal/Bronco_Tailgate_Parts
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tailgate_Side_Seal_Pair_6668yr/Early_Bronco_Weather_Stripping

The weatherstripping is model year specific so talk to your tech at WH to be sure you have the right ones.

Also finally it helps to lube the latch assembly. And yes I have all this on mine. Much, much quieter.

Lawndart

Loc.
With all new rubber and bumpers etc, mine still made noise.
Most of if seemed to originate with the tailgate hinges; even folded and tucked.
I few well placed felt circles with the peel and stick backing took care of most of it.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
looks good, congrats. watch out on the window shades so people don't steal them lol. seems like everyone is or was looking for them;)

Blitzen72

Liftgate rods - my bronco's PO must have hated the sound - they filled the entire lower space that the actuator rods are in with spray foam 😒. It silenced them, but also bound them up so they didn't work. The passenger side was broken from trying to force the handle to turn.

After a few evenings with a stiff piece of #9 wire and a 12 gage shotgun brass bristle cleaning brush, I reworked the lock mechanism so it now works. To silence the rods from rattling, I bought some 3/8"(?) 1/4"(?) clear plastic tubing, it pretty much slid on with a little coaxing. I lubed up the rods with some bearing grease to get it to slide on a little easier and also if it ever somehow gets water in there will keep the water off the now encapsulated rods.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Another anti-rattle scheme for the tailgate braces are magnets.
Of course, as mentioned previously, making sure the rubber "saddles" are installed so that each pair of struts slides up against it and into the pocket when folded up, is a first step.
Then, other than taping foam to them, which gets messy as the materials deteriorate, the magnets do a great trip.

The size that Harbor Freight sells in a kit of strong magnets, about 1x1.5 inches, by about 3/8" thick rectangular magnets stick to the flat tailgate metal inside the cavity (either the tailgate side OR the body tub side I think) are the ones to get.
Install the magnet, close the tailgate and as the strut folds up inside the cavity, they're pulled inward and held solidly in place by the magnets.

Works really well.

Paul

Torkman66

Contributor
Take out the rods and use long lengths of fuel line hose cut the entire length. Put the rubber hose over the length of the rods. It completely silences the rods from slapping against tail gate inside but does not affect operation. Cut out round pucks from 1/8" rubber or use large rubber washers that can fit inside the hinge cup. Key is to include enough rubber rounds on each side to completely remove left to right movement of the tail gate. You can also get the tailgate perfectly centered in the opening by increasing or decreasing the rubber on each side. They tighten up the hinges, and they move the tailgate left or right. Finally, you can carefully squeeze the hinge cup so that it is tight when the cup portion goes in.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hombres: After 35 years I have a bronco AGAIN. Won't make the same mistake and sell this one. Thanks to all of you that guided me in the process. Rig is in great shape but needs minor TLC, (fuel gauges don't register, J-shift is flaky, etc...) My 1st ask of y'all is; the tailgate hinges are noisy since they bounce around in the back frame. Does any one have a creative fix they used to reduce the noise? I can create a baffle, but perhaps y'all have better ideas?

Outstanding ... Congrats