• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Relocate Coil?

UGABRONCO

I have just installed a new carb, but the coil was hitting the electric choke so I had to turn loosen the coil bracket and just turn it for clearance. Now, the air cleaner is hitting the coil, and I have to use this one since it is a low profile air cleaner under a stock hood. Is there a good palce to relocate the coil (it is now located on top of the intake manifold on the front left side of the carb) so that the air cleaner will fit?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
You can pretty much put it anywhere you want, including on the firewall or inner fender. Just need longer wires. The only real reason it's on the engine a lot of times is because of the wire to the distributor. So, if you mount it off of the engine, just make sure that wire is long enough and routed to flex and not rub or cut on anything.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
UGABRONCO said:
Thanks. I guess that the coil wire comes in different lengths?
It's just a spark plug wire with different ends. If you buy a set of wires for a specific application it usually comes with a short wire for the coil to distributor. You should be able to go to any auto parts store and tell them you need a longer wire from the coil to the distributor and they can make one for you.