• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Remove window Tint

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ok I've got a couple of side windows I want to remove the window tint from .. I took a razor blade scraper & pulled the film off. But there is a lot of residue left in place.
... Should I use lacquer thinner.. I don't think the Spray A Way glass cleaner will do the job will it.
& 3M makes a product called ... Plastic Emblem Adhesive Remover. I used to sell it but I've forgot how it really works. I remember if say you had a decal It was great to remove that glue after the decal was off.
... I did some windows on my Dodge haul truck a couple of years ago & They turned out fine but I just can't remember what I did to them.
... That 3M Stuff cost like 30 bucks. SO WONDER IF GasOline would even work.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Rubbing alcohol and a razor blade was the old school method. Just the razor blade "can" work but with some rubbing alcohol it is easier.
There are stronger solvents than rubbing alcohol but they are more dangerous.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Rubbing alcohol and a razor blade was the old school method. Just the razor blade "can" work but with some rubbing alcohol it is easier.
There are stronger solvents than rubbing alcohol but they are more dangerous.
that's what I have always used. goo be gone may work, probably still have to use it with the razor blade though

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The tint shop I used told me to use dish soap or ammonia. Spray it on and let it soak. Then use a razor blade and/or fine steel wool.

lmelmed

I am about to do this. Many sites recommend a home garment steamer if you have access to one. Otherwise, ammonia or goof off seem to be popular.

NC_Pinz

Ammonia based window cleaner solution. I also used steel wool with it to remove the adhesive. Finish with the cleaner solution and paper towels.

You don't want to just pull the tint off leaving the residue, but it sounds like that is what you did. Much more residue is left that way.

JT3357

I used mineral spirits to get the adhesive off the glass in my hardtop.

kip60

Anything you use will be easier and cleaner with a razor blade.

Cvcoda

Loc.
Omaha, NE
I've used goo gone and a razor blade in the past. Takes some time, but it will come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
A good ammonia window cleaner keep soaking it and then Razer Blade it off. Coming from some one that has tinted cars for 18 years now. Make sure you have a bath towel or paper towel. Glue gets everywhere.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
An old school car detailer and auto body man taught me the number one tool is a flat razor blade scraper.

From the other replies saying the same it seems good advice.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
First thing you did wrong was remove the tint by scraping it off . While tint is still on,cut plastic the same size of glass the tint is on ,spray glass with windx or equal brand place plastic on class turn heat up or pull in sun on hot day or blow dryer. 15 minutes or so remove plastic.

Goo gone is good stuff.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Ok I'm always amazed at what ... You DumbAss's know.. Damn y'all are good.
... I don't know why I don't start every post with ... Since you Guys Know every thing!!
...... I'm Just hoping I have added a few scratches in them .. I'll check that in a day or 2..
I've got a long day tomorrow.500 mile run .......

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
... Ok I'm always amazed at what ... You DumbAss's know.. Damn y'all are good.
... I don't know why I don't start every post with ... Since you Guys Know every thing!!
...... I'm Just hoping I have added a few scratches in them .. I'll check that in a day or 2..
I've got a long day tomorrow.500 mile run .......

Better git that log book straighten out then;);D

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
From the son of a longtime window tinter....

a) your best tool is a razor blade scraper, as others have noted
b) Goo Gone is probably good for the adhesive residue (it didn't exist back in the day when we were in business)
c) De-Solve is great for getting the residue off as well. I had to use that when I removed tint from windows with rear window defroster lines on the glass.

Good luck.

Todd Z.

gotdads68

Contributor
409 works good on the residue since you already pulled the tint.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My neighbor tints for a living. I just watched him take off old tint 2 weeks ago.

He uses a steamer to get it started and as he pulls it, hits it with more steam and it came right off.

For the residue, he uses a scraper with razor blades and applies soap and water......worked great. He was done in just a few minutes.....

Tim

diggs00

My neighbor tints for a living. I just watched him take off old tint 2 weeks ago.

He uses a steamer to get it started and as he pulls it, hits it with more steam and it came right off.

For the residue, he uses a scraper with razor blades and applies soap and water......worked great. He was done in just a few minutes.....

Tim

What Tim said!

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OH 74 I see there's one more Red Neck around these parts .. Thanks GUYS when it warms up a might I'll get after that residue.
...I'll pick up some of the GooBGone.