• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removed reserve tank hole

johnbeck

I removed my reserve tank fill line and the tank. I'm thinking my best option for the moment is to cut the tank fill line down to a couple of inches in length, reattach it with the three screws, and put a locking gas cap on it. Eventually, when I have time, I might have the hole welded in and sprayed the exterior color. Any better options? Thanks, John B

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I have no idea if you like purdy or functional but here's my suggestion.

Buy a stock gas cap, go to a auto paint store and have them mix up a can of spray paint that is the color of your Bronco, yes- in a spray can. Spray your stock cap and it will look so good you will be glad you aren't looking at one of those ugly locking chrome caps that stick out so far.

Just a thought. I"m not a "purdy" guy (my only bumper sticker is from the Moab Safari a few years ago and it reads "...cause pretty ain't enough". I love it. It describes my build, but doing this will look soooo much better than a locking cap.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm with NVRSTUK... But do you have just a cap sticking out .. or a door your wanting to replace. I'd not want to go back to only one door. Because it says your Bronco is no longer the year model it was. But I do prefer the replaced cap over all with the painted flat side. Let the Pilgrims wonder what you've done .

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I just riveted a plate in place of the filler cap, painted it black. But my flare is all the way up to the body line, only a tiny portion of the plate shows.

Mark

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

My sons drive my Bronco. I want to put a locking or non opening cap on the front fill neck to prevent them from attempting to fill a non-existent tank. A couple of beers could contribute to the development of that scenario. Middle grade(89 octane) is $4.30 a gallon so I need to put a locking cap on the rear tank for sure. I wish there were locking gas caps that blended in better - bling on my fuel caps ain't going to advance my Bronco to prom queen. I think my option is the short tank fill to no where with a locking cap. Thanks, John B

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just left the regular gas cap. Then, during DMV smog check, they made me go buy one that still works right to cover a missing tank....

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
I just did what you were thinking. Cut the tube, reattached the unit to the body and put the cap back on. I'm the only one who fills her up. All though I like Gargerz idea.

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

76YETI, Chances are I'll be the only one filling it up, just playing it safe. Thanks for your suggestions. Truly hope you all have a wonderful weekend, not allowing any bump in the road to ever capture any of the rest of the day. The best to you, John B

707Bronk

I printed a cover. Here's the prototype, final one will be made out of PETG or ABS and higher layer resolution so it'll be smooth. I'd love to mill it out of Aluminum, but that will have to wait until I get a CNC mini-mill. If I ever decide to paint the bronco, I'll just delete the hole all together. But this will work till then...I'll try and get another one printed this weekend. If interested just let me know.

bronco fuel hole cover (2).jpg

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
I like "never there" w/a cut-off disc (sell it to some 1 who wants a 2nd tank) & a mig-in patch. A lill of that cream to skim over, a hand held block'n paper, some touch up paint from the dealer or other who has ur color - or a rattle can of same. The K2 clear on top & 0000 steel wool or 1,000 grade paper to get a match to ur current surrounding paint ~

Owning a vehicle like this (justa jeep after all) means no worries abt panel gaps, scratches, mirror finish, etc. DIY, crafty (in girl language), learning, understanding, personal effort, independence, problem solving, etc

Or...the 40, 60, 100K$ some pay for that image w/o really havin it. (C BaT thread in chat forum).