• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removed leafs to level rear, now rides too soft

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
I added an 11-pack set of leafs from Tom's to my '77 and it sat way to high (approximately 3"), so I read similar posts here regarding leveling by removing leafs to drop the rear some. Now that I have (removed the two short leafs on the bottom..... I did this because most posts said that by removing the 3rd leaf drops the most but softens the ride a lot. Even though I removed shorter leafs, it is way too soft (bounces like it doesn't have shocks on it). I have brand new Bilstiens that should stabilize the rear.

Will replacing the short leafs and removing #3 help or only make it worse? Any suggestions?

tbratz

A few years back I did the same thing. I had the same issue and tried removing various leafs all with the same results, too soft and any little load would sag too much. When talking with Wildhorses, I think it was actually Paul, he recommended an add-a-leaf they sold that was long and went in under the third leaf. I then removed only 1 or 2 of the bottom most leafs and the height and ride are perfect. It also lets me load it down with my camping stuff and doesn't sag the rear too much. If that is kind of what you are looking for, you may want to contact them or check their catalog and see if they still carry it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the shoutout tbratz. Good trip down memory lane.
Unfortunately we no longer have the same long add-a-leaf for our packs. Only the shorter one for the stock springs if I remember.
I’ll have to check that though, and will get back to let you know.

You say “bouncy” though Mac. You are sure it is “too soft” bouncy and not “too hard” bouncy?
With the too-hard bouncy being more like a lack of shock damping maybe?
Even if too soft though, soft springs often require more shock.

I don’t suppose any Bronco buddies nearby have some RS9000’s they’d let you borrow “temporarily” by any chance?😉

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the springs are new they will settle a bit too over time

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the shoutout tbratz. Good trip down memory lane.
Unfortunately we no longer have the same long add-a-leaf for our packs. Only the shorter one for the stock springs if I remember.
I’ll have to check that though, and will get back to let you know.

You say “bouncy” though Mac. You are sure it is “too soft” bouncy and not “too hard” bouncy?
With the too-hard bouncy being more like a lack of shock damping maybe?
Even if too soft though, soft springs often require more shock.

I don’t suppose any Bronco buddies nearby have some RS9000’s they’d let you borrow “temporarily” by any chance?😉
Paul,

They are bouncy from being too soft. I have some other shocks I can try to see it they change anything! Thanks for the suggestion.