• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Hard Top and Storage

PaulN

How have you guys taken your hardtop off and how have you stored it. Ive though about somehow making a rig to hold the hard top on the roof of the garage and having pulleys and drive out from underneath it. What have you guys done?

Paul

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• Hanging Top.JPG
    Hanging Top.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 337

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ahhh, xcntrk beat me to it. I dig the hoist system xcntrk.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I remember another thread on the subject. 3 or 4 pages of similar winch/hoist systems and fellow owners storing from the ceiling.

OP
OP
P

PaulN

how heavy is the hard top....im not sure if i can put it against the roof of the garage...how else have you done it?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
how heavy is the hard top....im not sure if i can put it against the roof of the garage...how else have you done it?

If I remember correctly, about 225 lbs. Each one of the eye bolts and tie downs I used were rated at 300# each with a total of 9, so I figured I was good. Not sure what your ceiling situation is, but you could distribute the load over several of your beams using angle iron or 2x4s.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use sail boat roller locking cleats. 4 cleats (1/2 inch rope) bolted to the ceiling of the garage. Works great because you can put the top on and take it off by yourself .

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I don't have the height to hang my top from the rafters so I built a platform on a 12 degree angle, the same as the back of the top. Then I had to cut a hole in the top of it so the liftgate handle would fit through it. I covered it with some carpet so the top wouldn't get scratched. Last I put one ratchet strap around it to secure it to the wall. If you have the floor space this works out well.

Attachments

• 100_0728.jpg
    100_0728.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 287

matt w

Bronco Guru
Hey Paul, there have been a lot of post on this topic. You can use the search function to find them but here is one I liked.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211981&highlight=hard+top+storage

I just suspended mine using heavy duty tie downs, eye hooks, angle iron and three buddys and a 12 pack.

Maybe next summer I will figure out winch system.

I do this "except" I only use a 2x4 at the windshield section. As far as the back I just slide the motorcycle strap under the rear section AND it holds the rear portion together instead of it slipping apart.

I pretty much do it with the help of my wife or daughter as far as slipping the strap and 2 x 4 under the front...the only reason I let them help more as far as raising it of the bed is so they feel like they are REALLY helping me! heh heh! HAAAAAA! ;);D please don't tell them!!

unloosen everything and have 4 friends help lift it off. set some blocks to keep back posts off the ground. Thats what I do. just my 2 .

Farrell Martin

Loc.
Marietta, GA
I bought a set up from Lange Originals that is made for the Bronco. It made it a one man job, but still took some wrestling to get it off.

- F

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
I don't have the height to hang my top from the rafters so I built a platform on a 12 degree angle, the same as the back of the top. Then I had to cut a hole in the top of it so the liftgate handle would fit through it. I covered it with some carpet so the top wouldn't get scratched. Last I put one ratchet strap around it to secure it to the wall. If you have the floor space this works out well.

Your pic has inspired me. I don't have a tall, long or spacious garage. I'm going to create a huge dolly like contraption. That way, I can just tuck the top tightly against the wall and still have room for "Bertha" and all my wife's crap.

This is just a rough draft of my idea. In no way am I an expert craftsman, but I can manage to measure and cut some 2x4s.

Attachments

• 20151006_205127.jpg
    20151006_205127.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 125

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I will add important advice on the top supports in the 2 rear corners. I have found it easiest to pull the tail lights and remove the bars. They will drop down and you can pull them out through the tail light opening. The bars are what your lift gate supports bolt to as well. If you try to lift the top off with them attached you will damage the bed rails at the rear steak pockets...

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I installed one of these Racor storage lifts to store my kayaks and fishing gear. It comes with a crank but also an adapter for your cordless drill. I've seen a number of Jeep tops lifted and stored under them. I'll bet it would work for a Bronco top too. If the weight was too close for your comfort, you could eliminate the steel storage grid for some weight reduction. It's rated at 250 lbs and is pretty sturdy. I even tested it by running myself up and down with my Dewalt drill.;D
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Racor-HeavyLift-Storage-Platform-PHL-1R/100464807

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Your pic has inspired me. I don't have a tall, long or spacious garage. I'm going to create a huge dolly like contraption. That way, I can just tuck the top tightly against the wall and still have room for "Bertha" and all my wife's crap.

This is just a rough draft of my idea. In no way am I an expert craftsman, but I can manage to measure and cut some 2x4s.

Nice, post some pictures when you get it done. By the way, I got one of those metal sheds to put my wifes crap in. ;)