• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing shifter from steering column

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I am pulling out the dash and need to remove the shifter from the steering column. It looks as if there is just one retaining pin. What is the best way to remove this? Center punch?

Triggerman

Loc.
Henderson TN
Assuming your are refering to an auto column, you are exactly right. Its a barrel pin you have to punch out and the shifter comes off. I had to unbolt my dash, bring it back to the shifter area and turn the whole dash verticle to get it over the column, but it will come over it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Try a drift instead of a center punch. A drift looks like a center punch but instead of a point on the end (that spreads the metal) the tip is flat. It is used to drive material instead of spreading it. Should work the same for both manual and auto columns. Hopefully your column isn't as messed up as mine was, I had to cut my shifter off. Pin too beat up to come out.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. My column is in good shape. I it is an auto. I will use a drift. That should work.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
For others who may be interested, the manual shifter comes out the same way. Tap the pin up from the bottom.