• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

removing steering colum to replace joint

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
hey guys, i got my box for my 69 rebuilt by west texas and they did a fantastic job, however they switched the modified sector shaft which was grooved to use a manual gearbox bell joint and now my bell joint does not fit on it.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/manual-steering-bell-assembly-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new

i would like to use a borgeson joint to replace the bell joint however i don't know how to remove the manual box steering column because of the metal rod sticking out each side at the bottom by the box. and i do not know which joint will work on my box. i think the box is 3/4" 30 spline and the shaft is 3/4"

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Flaming_River_Steering_Yoke_FR1703

^ is this the yoke i need?

this is the metal rod which i don't know how to remove to get the column out

current sector shaft

this is the modification i am aiming to do shown at the bottom of the install instructions

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/page...wer-steering-close-ratio-conversion-kit-4500/

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You can put a socket on the frame and then put one end of that pin in the socket. Then, take a hammer and pound it out. When it's flush, you'll need a punch to get it out the rest of the way. Both the pin and sleeve on the end are press fit and will slide out with enough force.

That's the difficult way to do it. The easiest way would be to simply cut the bottom inch or so off of the shaft. The hole that will be left after removing the pin will be too big to use as a bolt hole for the new u-joint, so you're going to have to cut part of the shaft off anyway.

You could also remove the entire steering column and steering shaft as an assembly.

I say cutting it off would still be the easiest way.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
cutting would be easiest however my dad has yet to have any sort of tool capable of doing so.

glad to know it's press fit, i'll just punch it out and remove it so i can take it to the local 4x4 shop and have them cut it and attach the joint.

i think i may be slightly crazy but do those #'s look right for the spline and size? i haven't really measured i just went off of WH's info on their website.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That stock saginaw box uses a 13/16" 36 spline joint.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have to take into account any flat spots without the splines too. In other words, if it would have 36 splines if it had them all the way around, then it's a 36 spline shaft.
One way to verify that would be to count half of the shaft, but only the half with full spline coverage.
If it's 18, then you have a 36 spline shaft.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A 3/4" 12 point socket will slide onto a 13/16" 36 spline input shaft with almost no slop.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
never knew that, thanks for the info guys, as always it's greatly appreciated. just a few more things i need to do to get this truck back on the road and get my little brothers sorted aswell.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Man that Viper is some book of Bronco knowledge .. Thank Bud for being a part of this sight. I too was thinking he should be able to use that spline. But it seems to me like my U-Joint came with a set screw not putting a bolt thru the shaft.
... But I'm alway amazed at the info that comes from Viper. Thanks.