• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing stock fuel tank

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
Referencing this link: http://classicbroncos.com/24galtank.shtml

I've gotten to step 10 and removed the strap, but the tank is still stuck. It wiggles only a little, like a bolt is holding it somewhere. I have not removed the skid plate yet, but I think I could move the tank more than an 1/8th of an inch back & forth even if it's supposed to eventually come out. What else could be holding this tank in place?

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
The attachments for gas line and the wiring. I believe there are a couple little mounts on the inside of the frame and off course the filler neck which most likely is whats stopping it from moving.

Take the skid plate off and see what else is going on.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have not removed the skid plate yet, but I think I could move the tank more than an 1/8th of an inch back & forth even if it's supposed to eventually come out. What else could be holding this tank in place?
It's been a while, but from what I remember the four frame mounts at the top of the tank are formed to match the rounded corners of the tank. I would think this would limit the back and forth movement of the tank to the 1/8" you're experiencing. Mine didn't have a skid plate so I don't know how much that would limit the tank from dropping. As suggested, try removing the skid plate, but be prepared for the tank to come with it.

OP
OP
wegngis

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
I sprayed the old skid plate and hitch bolts with PB Blaster, I'm going to let it soak overnight and take a crack at it tomorrow.

OP
OP
wegngis

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
Took the skid plate off, and the tank came with it. I had emptied all but about a quarter gallon from the tank prior, so it was easily manageable by hand, no floor jack required.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Glad to hear it.. they can be a PITA sometimes....